This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.
Moisturizing your hair is a crucial step in all hair routines, but it is especially essential for type 4 hair. Type 4 hair loses moisture easily due to the structure of its follicles. Because of this, choosing products (stylers especially) can be a difficult task.  Here are 4 products that will define, detangle and most importantly drench your coils on moisture! 

This custard was formulated especially for type 4 coils. The custard has a gel-like consistency  (listen, I know what you’re thinking but THIS one is different, ok?)  that defines coils perfectly and gives the BEST hold. The best part about this product is that it doesn’t flake, it’ll help your wash and go last at least 4 days and the smell is amazing! Apply this product to wet hair and let it air dry, or diffuse your hair if you’re impatient like me. 

This product is so moisturizing and gives the best slip; it penetrates your hair easily. This custard is perfect for wash & go’s, twist outs, you name it! I’ll admit, this styler is a bit pricey, but it’s totally worth it! The hold that the custard provides is simply amazing. Here’s a tip, pairing this product with “kinky curly knot today” will give you the best wash n go you could imagine. With this product, a little goes a long way so don’t treat it like a conditioner. DO NOT put half the jar in your hair, it won’t be pretty.

For the members of the type 4 community who simply dislike gels, this one is for you. Cantu’s coconut curling cream is a holy grail for type 4 hair. The cream not only moisturizes, but defines and adds instant shine to any curls, coils, or kinks. The cream has the perfect consistency; thick enough to moisturize but still add slip.  The curling cream works great for twist-outs, braid-outs, anything! Cantu is well known for being affordable, and the coconut curling cream is no exception. 

Look at that, another cream! This Jamaican black castor oil smoothie is one of the most moisturizing (and affordable)  products on the market. The definition you will achieve when using the JBCO smoothie will leave you speechless. If you’re looking for a cream that will moisturize, define, and clump your curls effortlessly, you can end your search here. 

Due to the tightness of the coils, type 4 hair is often labeled unmanageable, but I am here to tell you that is a lie. With proper moisture and an amazing styler, type 4 coils pop severely!
A free spirit who was born and raised in California, Chere is currently a student at Norfolk State University. At school, you are likely to find her studying mass communications -- but she is a firm believer in the expansion of knowledge in all areas. A strong advocate for Black women, equality, and social justice, Chere hopes to use her writing to further answer her call to activism.