Career

Black Representation in the Workforce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

The era we live in now has been the best time for black girls to make their presence known. They are becoming doctors, directing movies, and winning elections. With all this success it seems that there are just some sections still missing some black girl magic.

Here are the top 5 jobs with the least presence of black women.

• Construction

• Engineering

• Computer Sciences

• Farming and Agriculture

• Architecture

According to research, less than 20% of the people who take up these jobs are African American females. As a woman, it is important that you try to make a presence in your career no matter what you choose to do. More importantly, as an African American female, it is twice as important to make a staple for yourself because you are considered a double minority.

If you are someone who is working, studying, or even just interested in pursuing any of these jobs then you should do it to the best of your abilities and make a statement out in the world and show the boys that you can do it just as good or even better, and even the wage gap between men and women. After all, everything needs a woman’s touch!

Jaila is a Sophmore Mass Communication major at Norfolk State University. She was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia. She loves makeup, dancing, and writing.