This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

With December being right around the corner, buying gifts and decorating your house or apartment is never the same without the classic songs old and new to get you into the Christmas spirit. Here are six most listened to and popular classic Christmas songs that will have you in feeling the Christmas spirit.

All I Want For Christmas Is You by  Mariah Carey

(photo credit- Amazon)

This song has definitely earned its mark during the holiday season. From Mariah’s 1994 Christmas album, this song itself has rocked the charts for everyone to wish for their special someone this wonderful time of the year.

2. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town by The Jackson 5

(photo credit- Amazon)

Having little ones eager to wait from Christmas Eve until christmas day, while this classic sung by the Jackson 5 tells the children all over the world that St. Nicholas was close and was bringing toys to those who have been checked twice on his lists. Which is a good enough reason to leave sugar cookies and warm milk out on that very night before.

3. Christmas Time is Here from A Charlie Brown Christmas

(photo credit- Google Images)

Jazz pianist, Vince Guaraldi, will always be remembered for creating this all time classic for the holiday Peanuts film, “A Charlie Brown Christmas”  which will always be a favorite for the young and young at heart.

4. Last Christmas by Wham

(photo credit- genius.com)

Although most Christmas songs revolve around having joy and cherishing those around others, Last Christmas, sung by Wham!, tells of how to move on from heartbreak that happened on a previous Christmas.

5. Mary Did You Know? by  Cee Lo Green

(photo credit- Spotify)

When it comes to most Christmas songs, there lies a story behind the majority that we listen to during the season. “Mary Did You Know?” tell the story what people might say can be told by the angel Gabriel of how Mary will deliver the son of God, who will be the savior of the world. This song has been performed by many, but I believe this will have many moved into tears as this explain the light of the world.

6. Silent Night by The Temptations

(photo credit- Amazon)

Nothing says Christmas like this classic. The Temptations are known well for bringing the soul into soul/ R&B music. This song from their Christmas album is thought to be a metaphor of how the birth of our savior was considered to be a silent yet holy night. The melodies of The Temptations will having you feeling merry all December long.

Now let’s turn up the tunes, bake some cookies, and crack open the eggnog. Christmas time is here!

Mikyah Henderson is a young collegiette woman who is not hesitant to take her creativity to newer limits. As a sophomore General English major at Norfolk State University, she discovers Lyman Beecher Brooks Library as her home along with letting her creations on paper take flight. After being a drama club member at her public high school in Highland Springs, Virginia, she learned that it is okay to be unique and to never let stereotypes defy anything that her future will foretell. One day, she hopes to own her own practice as a Family/ Marriage Counselor for relationships in need of guidance and support as well as taking her love for fiction to even greater heights