Style > Fashion

Your Autumn Wardrobe: Five Staple Pieces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Autumn has fast approached us, with the sun gradually going in and the nights getting darker and colder. Sadly, I’ve accepted that my summer wardrobe is left for another year, but the change in season does warrant some excitement: new clothes! Here are my 5 staple pieces I’ll be living in this autumn.

Leather leggings: I always find trousers the hardest part of my outfit, so I’m so glad I found some leather leggings! They go with absolutely everything and they’re actually super warm! Mine are from Topshop (via Depop) and actually have a felt lining, so they’re super warm and comfortable, but look high effort!

Oversized wrap cardigan: I just bought an oversized cardigan which wraps around at the front, and it literally feels like wearing a duvet. The tie detail at the front can be done in a bow to look cute and high effort when it’s actually a really simple piece. All you want in the winter months is to be cosy, so a big knit piece is perfect for that. It will also go well with the leather leggings!

Chunky boots: Another staple is of course, shoes. Normally, I’d recommend trainers all day long. However, this year I’ve actually got some Doc Martens and I love them! You don’t have to worry about if it’s raining (or snowing!) or about any mud, which is always my concern with my white trainers. They’re also quite warm to wear, and again, go perfectly with the above pieces!

Knitted vest: For the warmer days of autumn, you might want a more transitional piece from summer, such as a vest. A knitted vest gives that cosy texture to your outfit as well as warmth, which can be paired with a roll neck or long sleeve top underneath. According to TikTok, knitted vests have come back in fashion and make a simple outfit look well thought out and put together with minimal effort required. Perfect in every way!

A big coat!: Of course, as much as we may wish for warmer days, the reality is that England gets cold. Really cold. So, a big warm coat is an essential staple piece in your wardrobe. Teddy or fur coats are great for warmth and adding a cosy texture to your outfit. Otherwise, a leather biker coat is another staple piece which has the added benefit of being waterproof. When it comes to winter coats, the bigger the better! You want to be cosy, and also have room for jumpers underneath for those *really* cold days. Piece these items together, you have yourself an outfit!

Bethany smith

Nottingham '22

Hi! I'm a masters Marketing student at the University of Nottingham. I have just completed my undergraduate course in Hispanic Studies where I went on an amazing year abroad in Lisbon ad Lima!