Wonka: A Golden Ticket to Nostalgia and Innovation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

At the start of January, I took a trip to the cinema with my sister to see Wonka. Initially, I didn’t have high expectations, and based on what I had seen in the trailer, I thought it wouldn’t be that good. However, by the end of the film, I had experienced a range of emotions, and the film quickly became a firm favourite of this year’s cinema. 

It was clear from the start of the film that the producers had spared no expense in creating a beautiful and magical set. The visual effects and cinematography worked seamlessly together to bring the fantastical world of Wonka to life, adding a layer of enchantment to the entire film. I loved how they incorporated so many elements of Gene Wilder’s Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory into the set– such as the inside of Wonka’s shop. 

I’m so glad I didn’t take the trailer literally- because it definitely didn’t show Timothée Chalamet in the best light. His portrayal of a young Willy Wonka was so charming and charismatic and I think he stayed true to Wonka’s quirky and original personality. His performance also added so much depth to the character, and learning his backstory was insightful. I also thought that the supporting cast was amazing- my sister and I couldn’t stop laughing at Hugh Grant as an Oompa-Loompa. 

I would typically call myself a musical theatre hater- despite having a bit of a phase from year 7 to year 9. I usually refuse to watch a film if it has musical elements because it’s just not my thing. However, Wonka has made me question all my previous opinions. I found the songs so catchy, and I genuinely got goosebumps in parts. When he sang ‘Pure Imagination’ I teared up and my sister was crying so hard she couldn’t breathe (maybe that’s just because she’s a tad dramatic though).

I found that the narrative, although it was predictable in parts, was full of unexpected twists and turns that kept the audience engaged. The film’s balance of humour and drama along with musical elements was perfect– every part of it was entertaining. I fell in love with all of the character’s storylines and loved all their individual personalities and quirks

The only reason I knocked a star off is because of the predictability in parts– but I also think that is just an element of films like Wonka. The film was what I would call a feel-good, it didn’t leave me questioning the meaning of life- instead, it provided me with an escape from reality for nearly 2 hours. It didn’t need to have an over-complicated narrative to make me enjoy it and I honestly would say it may be my favourite out of all three Willy Wonka films. 

In conclusion, Wonka is a cinematic treat that captures the essence of Roald Dahl’s timeless characters and narratives, whilst simultaneously giving it new life through its insight into Willy Wonka’s backstory. The film left me, and I’m sure many other people, feeling happy I took the risk of seeing it in the cinema. I highly recommend the film to anyone debating watching it!

Rosa Pessagno

Nottingham '25

Rosa Pessagno is a joint social sec at Her Campus Nottingham. Some of the topics she is interested in include women's rights, fashion, popular culture, and current affairs. Rosa is currently in her second year at the University of Nottingham, studying International Media and Communications. As a media student, Rosa has a good understanding of current world issues, and she can provide a critical opinion on the topics she chooses to write about. Although she has never written for a magazine before, Rosa is excited to start writing articles about things she is passionate about. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, second-hand shopping, going on Pinterest and exploring different genres of music.