Why You Should Vote in the SU Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s that time of year once again; the banners are up, the various name puns abound, and the campaign teams are out in force, handing out sweets and manifestos to anyone who dares meet their gaze. That’s right: its election season. The number of SU positions to fill seem endless and the number of people vying to fill them even more so, you can barely move on campus without running into one team or another. Yet, despite the huge presence of campaigners, for those not directly caught up in the hype, it is typical to sense the atmosphere of apathy towards the elections. It is not uncommon to hear the phrase of ‘I’m not voting, I just DON’T see the point’ declared almost proudly by the cynics, as they smugly bat away free sweets and stickers from hopeful candidates. It seems almost a badge of pride, a statement that they care about bigger better things than improved transport links or the standard of food in halls.

However, this type of apathy, to me seems pointless in itself. After all, there is no downside to voting in the student elections, no reason not to use your vote to potentially make a difference. The Students Union, for all its flaws, essentially represents the voice of the student, so why not use the power you have to shape it for the better? There are so many areas that this university needs to improve upon, mental health being a key issue, so no one benefits from a vote going to waste.

This goes for first years to final year students. First years will potentially benefit the most from any changes made by the new SU team which should be an obvious incentive, yet even sullen final years (like myself) who won’t be around to see the changes shouldn’t let that put them off voting. After being at Nottingham for three years, most people actually care about the place they are leaving behind and the people in it, and voting is a way of improving the university for the people that come after you. Even if it makes you feel sad and jealous at the prospect of not being here.

It is also important to appreciate the work of the candidates. After all, they are all ordinary students that are somehow finding the time to simultaneously complete their course and create t-shirts, videos, banners and multiple brightly coloured cardboard contraptions to hang outside Hallward. And while you might not like trying to get past them to get into campus, you can’t help but respect them for being that enthusiastic at 9am in the cold. Channel that respect into a vote and make their pain worthwhile.

Finally, it is a long standing stereotype in the media that students do not vote. When it comes to the bigger politics, we are the group that are currently getting the worst deal going, mainly because our voting power is so miniscule, the government hardly take our needs into account. If the voting has to start somewhere, let it be at the student level. There isn’t any point not caring – and that is something we can take into the wider world with us.  

You can vote in the elections here: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/make-the-change/elections/

Edited by India-Jayne Trainor 

Sources: 

http://for-the-asians.tumblr.com/post/110701928683/when-people-ask-about-my-valentines-day-plans

http://www.buzzfeed.com/nickb48b94eb15/18-reasons-ben-wyatt-from-parks-and-recreation-i-y5ei#.ypGKn9A5e