This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I love a bargain as much as the next person – what is there not to love about saving money any way you can? I feel like bargain hunting is incorporated into student life massively, whether it be finding a 2-for-1 deal in Supermarkets or buying the most expensive smoothie in your £3 meal deal from Spar. With this existing need for money saving, it was like both my clothing and budgeting needs were filled when I discovered the White Rose charity shops in Nottingham.

I’ve always loved a good wander around the charity shops (with over 80% of my books being from shops like Oxfam), but I personally have always found it super difficult looking for clothing that I like and would wear from charity shops. However, in my opinion, the White Rose is perfect for student style in probably every way you could think of. 

Their clothing includes recycled items from stores like Topshop, Missguided and Urban Outfitters (and so many more!) at exceptionally low prices, including branded items like Champion and Ralph Lauren for under £20 (I bought the comfiest oversized jumper from here and it’s ideal for my 9am lectures). They sell items for every occasion – with most of my night-out clothes from there, it’s the most rewarding feeling knowing that I only spent £5 instead of £15-20 on a night-out outfit. They also sell the loveliest jewelry for such low prices, particularly their earrings and necklaces.

They currently have 4 stores open in Nottingham, with the newest store being right in the middle of Nottingham’s Market Square. The store’s aim is to support and raise money for ‘The Aegis Trust’ which is an international organization working to prevent genocide. Aegis honours the memory of the victims of genocide and enables students, professionals, decision-makers and a wider public to meet survivors and learn from their experiences. Its purpose is unique and one of extreme importance. It’s a cause I don’t often consider to be discussed in mainstream culture, but the work they have done is both inspiring and offers even more of a reason to donate. 

With that in mind,  it’s easy to acknowledge that charity shopping has its benefits. The White Rose are massively informed about the impacts of fast fashion on the environment and advocate for second-hand purchasing, whilst emphasising the importance of donating to their store to help reduce the environmental damage. 

Shopping whilst supporting good causes at a cheap cost, what more could you want?

Here are all the existing locations in Nottingham for anyone who would like to visit to join me on my quest to find the cutest clothes at the lowest prices:

WHITE ROSE 116 Goosegate, Nottingham, NG1 1FF 

WHITE ROSE 2 2 Broad Street, Nottingham, NG1 3AL

WHITE ROSE 4 (Menswear) – 34 – 36 Goosegate, Nottingham, NG1 1FF

WHITE ROSE 522 Market Street, Nottingham

Source: https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/shopping/new-shop-selling-design…

Jess Smith

Nottingham '21

2020/2021 Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus Nottingham. Aspiring Journalist, with a lot of love for all things bookish. Final Year Sociology student, with a primary interest in Gender Studies, Film Analysis & Mental Health!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.