This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The non-stop wind and rain that has graced our skies recently has had me wishing I was far away in an exotic location, cocktail in hand, whilst sunbathing around the pool of a luxury hotel. But this is not everyone’s idea of the perfect holiday scenario. Many people would prefer the hustle and bustle of a city break with a packed itinerary to lying around on a beach doing a whole lot of nothing. So which type of holiday maker are you?

1. The City Goers

If you’re a fan of this style of holiday you probably find you get bored easily. Cities offer many different tourist hotspots from museums to art galleries, to fancy restaurants and noisy bars. The busy nature of a city environment means there is always something to do and another culture just waiting to be learned about. It’s the perfect kind of destination for the people who just can’t sit still!

City goers are also likely to be fans of organisation. With so many sights to see, city breaks need a planner at the helm to make sure nothing is missed. If you like to create casual lists of everything you want to do or even go slightly more intense with a full schedule drawn out with lunch and dinner times drafted in; then a city break is up your street.

This kind of holiday maker doesn’t need the sun to have a good time. Grey skies and a strong breeze won’t phase any city goer. In fact, a cloudy day may even be welcomed to help keep temperatures low when wandering through the city streets and uncovering the many shops and cafes that may invite explorers in. On that note, the city goers are also not afraid of a little exercise. Fully experiencing everything that a city has to offer is a tiring task but it’s worth it if you leave feeling like a local.

Woman on Calton Hill in Edinburgh, Scotland
Laura Cavalenes

1. The Beach lovers

This style of holiday is the perfect match for any stress heads out there. If all you want to do when you go away is relax next to the sea and listen to music, read a book or even better just sleep; then you definitely fall into this category. There is no itinerary to follow. You can wake up at any time you like, chuck on a bikini and amble down to the breakfast buffet, before making your way over to the beach loungers where you can park up until the sun begins to drop. 

For a beach lover, a tan is essential. The sun not making an appearance makes for a beach holiday disaster, so it’s necessary to make sure you book the holiday in the right season to make sure the weather will be on your side. This might mean booking in the summer holidays when prices will be at their highest, but it will definitely pay off when you can come home and show off a natural tan to your friends. Besides, have you really been on a beach holiday if you don’t get just a little burnt?

Although relaxation is at the top of the priority list for the beach lovers, sunbathing is often sandwiched in between some more gentle exercise. This could be a little stroll around the hotel grounds to stretch your legs or joining in with the afternoon aqua aerobics session in the pool. Anything that will provide some entertainment but doesn’t take you too far away from the sun beds.

The Lalatwo People Walking On The Beach
Her Campus Media
There will be people reading this who feel they identify with aspects of both holiday makers and might even feel like they switch between the two throughout the year. However, others may feel they automatically pull towards one holiday style over the other. So, are you a city goer or a beach lover at heart?

Meghan Jarvis

Nottingham '20

Meghan is a third year student studying English at the University of Nottingham. She enjoys reading, writing and all things food. Meghan is a features writer for HerCampus Nottingham magazine.