burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Trends We Need to Leave Behind in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As 2016 approaches, we get a chance to look back over the past year and think about what we’re proud of and what we might have done slightly differently. We make the standard New Year’s resolutions where we promise to drink less and go to the gym more, and the old, futile, ‘new year, new me’, is announced left, right and centre. Alongside resolutions that usually fail, we can look at trends from the past year or so that have divided opinions everywhere. Either offensive to a large group or simply being labeled ‘fashion’, it’s time for their expiry date. These are the trends we think need to be left behind for 2016…

Bucket Hats

If you’d told us more than two years ago that bucket hats would ever have become cool, we’d have laughed and never have believed you. But since the beginning of 2014, bucket hats have no longer been reserved for toddlers and fishermen. First adopted by those in search of a ‘wavy garm’ to fit their edgy house or grime night, it has been donned by the likes of Justin Bieber and Rihanna, and produced by Nike and Adidas so has unfortunately become mainstream. Rarely can you go on a night out and not spot it on someone in an attempt to prove their coolness. It may be practical in protecting your head from the sun but that’s rarely the reason they’re worn, and quite frankly they look a bit weird on fully grown adults. It’s definitely time to move on!

Bindis

No matter what festival you went to this summer, the odds are that you saw hundreds of girls wearing bindis. Sold in every high street shop, many presumably thought they made a change to the exhausted flower crown that we’ve all worn at some point. However, it’s also an example of cultural appropriation as the wearers were almost certainly not wearing them in celebration of Hindu culture. Turning a religious symbol into disposable fashion can deeply offend some people, and rightly so. So although they may look beautiful, let’s leave this ‘trend’ in 2015.

Slides

Adidas Slides became huge in 2015 for the sole reason that they are Adidas, which obviously equals edgy. Yet being worn by everyone proves that edgy is what they are not. Lacking in the looks department (when worn both barefooted and with socks) at least they might be slightly comfortable. They are borderline acceptable in the summer, but there is something very off-putting when someone walks into a lecture wearing these in December. Most likely to do with the typical uni ‘I-don’t-care-what-I-look-like’, these almost certainly say the opposite.

Excessively Overlined Lips

Before Kylie Jenner finally admitted to having put fillers in her lips, she accredited their ever-increasing size to the magic of lip liner. Creating a huge surge in the demand for a plumped-up pout, the world has gone crazy for over lining their lips – something we all previously believed to be a fashion faux pas. Whilst there’s no doubt that the look can create fuller lips, there are definitely those who have overdone it, with even Kylie admitting she might have taken it a bit far.

Trends come and go, and in fashion, it’s inevitable that some will divide opinion. What we love and hate at the moment will surely turn over in the years to come – if the 70’s succeeded, anything can! We’re looking forward to seeing what 2016 has in store for us.

Edited by Katie Randall 

Sources:

www.fusion.net

www.twistmagazine.com

www.pinterest.com

www.mtv.com

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/trends/news/a10426/mdollas-wrkngtitle-opening-ceremony-hat/