Top 10 Films That Are Going to Make 2017 Better Than 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

2016 has brought some Hollywood gems like Zootopia, Finding Dory, Deadpool and the disturbingly pornographic Sausage Party. 2017 has a whole host of big films ready for us and this is a refined top 10 of what you should go and see in the next 12 months!

10. Blade Runner 2049 If you have not seen the original cult classic Blade Runner you should definitely give it a go.  35 years since the original, the 80s sci-fi hit starring Harrison Ford is being followed up with a sequel. Ryan Gosling and Jared Leto help old-timer Ford bring Blade Runner to a new generation. At the time of writing literally nothing is known about the plot – but its probably going to be big.

9. Despicable Me 3 Despicable Me – the franchise responsible for filling your life with those adorable/annoying Minions is releasing its third instalment. The original cast is back, with the addition of Gru’s twin to cause mayhem. Expect minions, lasers and fluffiness.

8. Pitch Perfect 3 Anyone who says they don’t like Pitch Perfect is either lying or they haven’t seen it yet. Admittedly the second one wasn’t as good as the first, but it was still addictive and has an odd male following (myself included). Rumours are that Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber may be making appearances but I wouldn’t take that as 100% truth – it would be one hell of an acapella group though!

7. Beauty and the Beast Disney live action time! Emma Watson plays Belle in the twisted version of Disney’s classic tale, taking you back to being a child when VHS was a thing. It looks magical and ‘Be Our Guest’ is already playing in your head.

6. Justice League Its DC’s answer to The Avengers – Batman and Wonder Woman will assemble a squad to defend the earth  (you know how these films work by now). Starring Ezra Miller as The Flash and Jason Mamoa as the most ripped Hawaiian Aquaman ever!

5. Wonder Woman Before Justice League, Wonder Woman is going to get her own solo film to show you just how badass she is and why men are not needed on her home island of Themyscira. The film goes back to WW2 and already looks amazing.

4. Star Wars Episode VIII It’s another Star Wars film whether you like it or not. It is guaranteed to make a lot of money and hopefully this time won’t have a recycled plot. The franchise has another big female lead in Daisy Ridley and it’s guaranteed to be good fun.

3. Logan This is Hugh Jackman’s last time playing Wolverine – ever. The entire planet knows that Jackman is Wolverine so seeing him leave is going to be a sad moment. Patrick Stewart is also playing his last appearance as Professor Xavier, it’s going to be emotional.

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 The trailer speaks more than I can for this film. Baby Groot looks incredibly cute and Chris Pratt makes any film amazing. After the surprising major success of the first film this sequel was inevitable and is going to make a lot of people very happy. Expect more 60s/70s bangers and aliens and explosions.

1. Kingsman: The Golden Circle Yet another sequel but this one is definitely the most anticipated. If you have not seen the first Kingsman film do yourself a favour and watch it – it is hilarious, entertaining and very clever. Colin Firth, Channing Tatum, Hallie Berry, Pedro Pascal and lead Taron Egerton is going to make for an even better autumn in 2017.

Films that failed to get a mention include Baywatch (for you Ocean lovers out there), a Jumanji remake featuring The Rock and Kevin Hart, yet another Spiderman remake, another The Mummy film (with Tom Cruise remaking it this time) and another Pirates of the Caribbean film that no one asked for. We all know Pirates of the Caribbean franchise hasn’t been the same since the darling that is Orlando Bloom sailed away (still heartbroken).

Edited by Jess Shelton

Sources: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/new-look-at-disneys-live-action-beauty-and-the-beast-on-ew-cover-and-a146475

https://media.giphy.com/media/u7uiWWbRFC2TC/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/1MTLxzwvOnvmE/giphy.gif

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.