This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Chappell Roan, in her dramatic makeup and capturing stage presence, is increasingly gaining attention as a rising popstar in the music industry. Here’s my experience of her show, live in Heaven.

The Midwest Tour

The Midwest Tour was a spectacularly Queer, feminine celebration. 

Throughout the dates of her tour, Chappell announced a variety of themes allowing for her thousands of supporters to get creative with her. While these themes ranged from pink cowgirl to slumber party realness, each show appears to have embraced the opportunity, as shown through her multiple Instagram reels. 

https://www.instagram.com/chappellroan/?hl=en

During her London shows, the theme ‘slumber party’ induced hundreds to dress up, rocking bedazzled sleeping masks, lingerie sleep dresses and frilly pyjamas with dramatic, colourful makeup; despite taking place on a rainy winter day.

While making our way to London for Chappell’s show was definitely eventful, the atmosphere and energy at the show was definitely worth the trip. From the support acts, local drag queen’s Inga Rock and Bones, the crowd was ecstatic in a rush of Queer, feminine energy.

https://www.instagram.com/theingarock/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/itsjustbones/?hl=en

Serving princess and the pea realness, Chappell wore the most gorgeous princess-inspired dress, bow themed tights and glorious dramatic glittery eyeshadow. Being described as a drag queen herself by fellow queen Crayola, Chappell takes on her stage identity through her makeup and outfits.

Throughout the show Chappell’s young, authentic self was clear, making the show feel like a real-life sleepover in nightclub Heaven. This was encapsulated during ‘Pink Pony Club’, as she shouted to have the disco ball turned on. This allowed pink fragments of light to shine all over the room, epitomising the feel of the show.

This experience was only enhanced through the crowd, with everyone being inclusive, respectful and showing huge support for Chappell; absent of the regular push and shove I have experienced at other concerts. Following the show multiple people complimented the high-energy performance Chappell gave, bouncing around the stage during songs while including her band mates in the performance.

While this was my first Chappell Roan concert it certainly won’t be my last, being by far the best performance I have seen out of the multitude of concerts I have attended from One Direction to The 1975.

Her Story

Although Chappell Roan did not plan on becoming a pop sensation, after uploading five music videos – making up her first EP ‘School Nights’ on YouTube – Atlantic records signed her at 17. Despite this amazing opportunity, Chappell has described this time as less than ideal, not feeling as though she could express her authentic self during this time (2015-2020). However, in 2020 Chappell powered on creating amazing music, working with Dan Nigro and releasing the now beloved ‘Pink Pony Club’. 

Through this release, we see the beginning of Chappell finding her Queer identity, being inspired by her first experience in a Gay Club in Los Angeles where she was living at the time. This experience led Chappell to exploring her Queer identity further, playing with drag makeup and accepting her Queerness. 

This can be seen and heard throughout her first album ‘The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess’, describing her journey and how her move to Los Angeles allowed her to explore her identity more fully. This was due to the inclusivity and range of people she met there, which is something she didn’t have the opportunity to do in her small hometown in Missouri.

This exploration of her identity is discussed by Chappell in multiple interviews, with Chappell’s creation of her outfits and makeup largely contributing to her Queer identity. This experimentation with fashion and her artistry can be seen on the album covers of her multiple singles, from a dirt bike and assless chaps she decorated in ‘Femininomenon’, to the decoration of her car and lingerie in ‘Casual’.

As Chappell continues to gain popularity in current media, she emphasises the importance of giving back to her inspirations. The large inspiration of her stage persona and music is rooted in disco-pop created by Black artists and Queer culture, leading to her donating a percentage of ticket sales to For the Gworls, an organisation supporting Black transgender people. 

Leah Russon

Nottingham '25

Leah Russon is a writer for Her Campus, writing articles about her interests in pop culture, sustainability, and up-and-coming artists! She is currently a 2nd year student studying Sociology and Social Policy in Nottingham. In her spare time, she explores what the city has to offer, going to concerts and exploring new cafes; attempting to find the best coffee shop in Nottingham.