Style Blog: Fall Fashion Fantasies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It still feels like yesterday that I got back from America after studying abroad in Williamsburg, Virginia for a year. The main shock that I had to deal with in returning to good old England was the weather after experiencing a summer that began in February that hit 40 degrees on many an occasion. As I began to acclimatise (and rekindle my fashion sense) I began to look to the fashion benefits. I mean you can never go wrong with a big cosy jumper and some roast-dinner-hiding layers. So here are a few of my ‘fall’ fashion crushes.

Very Berry

This is a great autumnal colour and also rather flattering on that no-longer-tanned skin. Accessories like scarves and jewellery in this maroon shade add a little seasonal transition to any outfit but it also seems to be a great Jeans alternative à la Olivia Palermo.

Mint

I am not sure where this obsession has come from but everyone on campus seem to be falling for this heavenly pastel shade of green. Everything – and I mean everything – is being made in mint this season: shoes, bags, jeans and of course those essential big cozy jumpers (see ASOS for some classics). It also goes brilliantly with said maroon accessories. Can’t go wrong.

Leather

Surprisingly, leather was all over the S/S 2013 catwalks that have just gone by and it even made a rather hefty appearance in Hedi Slimane’s much anticipated first Saint Laurent collection (above) and so I like to think of this one as ‘ahead of the times’. Whatever the weather, leather has become a fashion staple now after a significant re-emergence a few years back. I keep expecting it to be one of those things that go ‘out’ but it seems we just can’t shake it. Contrast has always been the key with leather (or ‘pleather’ for us students) whether this involves pairing with floaty fabrics or lighter colours (see Balmain below). This means it’s a style that’s great for day to night looks especially in trousers or skirts which go equally as great with a big sweater or a smart silk shirt. Pair with a mint jumper and maroon scarf for the ultimate autumnal look!

Boots

Riding, Wellington, UGG, Leather… no matter what the style, buying a new pair of boots has always been one of the best things about autumn. The boot of choice this year – ankle (with a little heel). It took me a while to come round to this idea as I have always been a ‘4 1/2-inches-at-least’ girl but seeing my favourite style crushes constantly rock them (mostly Rachel Bilson) paired with the undeniable benefits for a girl of my vertically challenged nature I gave in. Rag and Bone’s Harrow boots are a little slice of footwear perfection but not so kind on our student bank accounts, a more mid price alternative is Ash’s Isabel Marant look-a-likes (pictured) available online from Urban Outfitters. A little pricey still but justifiable by being the kind of boot that makes every outfit look that little bit better and more stylish. For even cheaper options, head to Topshop or Office for some great classics.

Tan

To be fair I am a year round tan-fan, it adds a touch of class to any outfit. In autumn my tan crush only heightens as it reminds me of those leaves that seem to have literally changed overnight. This ‘The Cambridge Satchel Company’ number is a perfect addition to any girl’s collection. Satchels seem to be a huge new trend in themselves and lots of celebrities like Alexa Chung are sporting neon brights but as students we can only really afford one bag a season (if that!) and so it has to be able to go with everything – this tan one seems to be a great compromise!

Layers: Jewelry and Collars

As the weather gets increasingly colder, fashion always seems to turn to layering. This autumn, as well as piling on those jumpers, layering is a key look for accessories, particularly necklaces. Stock up on chunky chains (particularly gold) and colourful jewels for a look alike Olivia Palermo who again hits the fashion spot here.

Wearing shirts under chunky knits is also a popular layering look this season so play up the preppy and add a bit of sharp Saville Row-inspired chic for a fashion forward edition to the standard jumper and jeans look. This also smartens up an outfit if you’re perhaps planning on attending any of the careers centre’s events and making an impression on future employers in a more casual networking setting (final years take note!). Showing off a collar this season is so big that it is not even necessary to bother with the shirt – collar necklaces are becoming increasingly popular and are easily found in most high street stores (and on ASOS) particularly sparkly or patterned ones which create a layered look with a difference.

Emily Dawes

Nottingham