Review: The Original Nottingham Canal Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

When I mentioned offhandedly to my boyfriend that I was interested in going to the very first Nottingham Canal Festival, his initial reaction was to stare at me like I had grown an extra nose. Eventually he managed an “I didn’t realise you liked canals…?” After giving an indignant glare in response, I reminded him that since I originally hail from Birmingham (‘more canals than Venice, don’t ya know’), I do, in fact, have a natural affinity for canals.

What I didn’t tell him was that I actually had a reputation within my family for falling in large bodies of water, and hence felt like I wanted to find out more about canals while I had the opportunity… It’s nice to be more informed about something you have spent lots of time in – intentionally or not.

When I then told my mother about my adventure idea, I was expecting her to make a quip about how good I am at diving or just give a mumbled “that’s interesting, dear”. So I was rather shocked when she instead grinned at me and announced loudly to the park we were in that she’d always wanted to go to a canal festival!

On the morning of Saturday the 10th of October , I found myself walking towards Castle Wharf to Nottingham Canal, accompanied by an excitable mum (along with my sister and best friend who had inevitably found themselves dragged along after showing a little interest in the event).

At 11 o’clock, the festival was opened by the Mayor and Mayoress of Nottingham with a big ol’ pair of scissors and lots of smiles. With stalls set up by the Canal & River Trust and the Wildlife Trust informing you about canal routes, upkeep, volunteer schemes and wildlife that can be found along our canals; there was plenty of information (and leaflets to add to your collection) to delve into if that’s your kinda thing. There was also an artist painting a large mural to mark the occasion.

Beautiful canal boats, brightly painted, dotted the canal and if you wanted you could even pop on one of the barges for a trip. Or if barges weren’t your thing and you preferred a more intimate relationship with the water (without actually being soaked in it as I have a tendency to be), there were also kayaks to have fun with. And for those who liked what was in the canal, rather than on top of it, there were people there to guide you in a bit of angling.

I wasn’t sure how big the whole thing was going to be since it was the first event, and it was in fact quite tiddly in the end. But the atmosphere there was very welcoming and happy, and there were plenty of people milling about and having fun. You couldn’t have dedicated much of the day to being there but it was good to pop in to. I was also secretly delighted that I didn’t accidently jump in, even after mum pushed me near the edge of the canal after I made a comment about her cackle! All in all, I enjoyed my short but sweet canal fest experience and have set my heart on one day having my own boat, though I think I’ll give myself a few years yet!

All photos author’s own

Edited by Naomi Upton

Sarah Holmes

Nottingham

Sarah is currently a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, studying Biochemistry and Biological Chemistry. As a photography intern for HC Nottingham, she now has an excuse for all the snaps she takes while out and about exploring the city. In addition to this, she is also a copy editor (mostly because she's one of those annoying gals who likes to correct you). In between adventures, she can often be found either: cuddled up with her two extremely fluffy labradoodle pups Sherlock and Watson; singing loudly in her student flat; reading books about bad-ass women of the past; fretting about whether her fringe is straight or trying not to burn something in the kitchen.
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.