Review: Circa Waves at Bodega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4 STARS ****

Though relatively new, Circa Waves are already making waves in the music industry (pun intended).

Their song ‘Stuck In My Teeth’ was chosen as Zane Lowe’s Hottest Record In The World this February. In March they played the NME Awards Tour alongside Temples, Interpol and Royal Blood.

Circa Waves came onto the Bodega stage to a roaring crowd. Something we think they will have to get used to. They launched into their first song, ‘Young Chasers’, and had only made it through 1 bar before the the crowd immediately started jumping up and down. A good start to an amazing gig.

The band were slick; afterall, they’ve had plenty of live experience over the summer at Glastonbury and T in the Park. Their onstage energy was infectious. 

Circa Waves’ music is lively and upbeat with very addictive melodies. ‘Good For Me’ is particularly catchy – Her Campus have been singing it all afternoon!

If a crowd is a good indication of how good a band is, then Circa Waves are seriously good! By the third song a mosh pit had formed, and these antics continued for most of the gig, matching the liveliness of Circa Waves’ tunes.

Last time Circa Waves played at Bodega the gig was half empty, this time it was sold out. If they keep going the way they are going, I wouldn’t be surprised if they start selling out much bigger venues soon!

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Photo credit: Daniel Scanlon.

Rachel Bates

Nottingham

20 year old student from Manchester. Studying Nutrition and Dietetics at Nottingham Uni. Interested in fashion, acting, reading and cooking.
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.