Review: Arcadia at Nottingham Playhouse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

3 STARS ***

To summarise the play ‘Arcadia’ in one word is a difficult task. Overwhelmed by the interspersion of Philosophy, Mathematics, Literature, sex, love and a tortoise, I left the theatre in a state of bewilderment.

Tom Stoppard’s play is full of questions and a fusion of time. The audience is confronted, initially, with a 19th century setting and are introduced to the undeniably intelligent (know-it-all) Thomasina Coverley who appears to have fallen for her rather charming (and promiscuous) tutor Septimous Hodge. Sent back to the future, the audience are then presented with the present day, situated in the same location of Sidley Park, in which academics try to determine the events of the previous presented period. However, as the past echoes into the present day, Arcadia evolves into a play of emotion.

The ease of transition was not mirrored in an ease of understanding. One minute there was discussion concerning sex, the next it was converted into conversation regarding rice pudding, which was then developed into a comment about the universe. Of course, this is what Stoppard instructs, but the fast paced dialogue of the actors was not ideal. Saying that, Lady Croom (Lizzy McInnerny) was one actor who truly enunciated her words, contributing to the comedic value of her character, as her frequent shock was projected through her droll, posh accent.

Apparently, humour is a regular occurrence in this play, as I could only assume from the laughter around me. Let’s just say a certain level of intelligence and certain aspects of knowledge appear to be required in order to fully grasp the comedy (I’m not going to lie, I did on occasion simply laugh when others did so as not to appear lost, but I was; I was really really lost).

Ilan Goodman’s depiction of Valentine, a mathematician in the present day, is a dynamic performance. Yes, he may be good looking, but this is not where his potential ends (though it is a great contributor). Goodman’s acting alternates between a casual indifference and mockery towards Bernard, nonchalantly eating a sandwich and feeding his tortoise whilst Bernard is lecturing, and an eruption of passion when discussing his studies. Valentine is a character of depth, wit and comedy, captured in the work of Goodman.

How can I summarise this play in one word? Dense. Truth be told, I was confused and still am confused. One audience member uttered the words “it feels like I’m in a physics lesson” (my sentiments exactly). My advice: perhaps avoid if you are a student in search of a break from difficult lectures.

Image source: 

http://www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk/whats-on/drama/arcadia

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

English student at the University of Nottingham
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.