This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The Amazons are an English alt-rock back quickly growing in popularity, and it’s not difficult to see why. Although they first formed in 2014 their debut album was released in May 2017, and it’s one of those rare albums where literally every song is amazing! To prove it, they were included in the BBC’s ‘Sound of 2017’ and MTV’s ‘Brand New 2017’ lists.

The hooks and riffs in ‘In My Mind’ and ‘Black Magic’ are catchy enough to have you humming the songs for days afterwards, and they’re also the sort of solid beat which can fill a concert space.  But the band does switch it up- after what comes as a shock after all the leather-clad rock songs on the album are sweeter, more sincere ballads like ‘Palace’ which show their versatility as a band.

I was lucky enough to be able to see the band at Reading Festival this summer and they packed the ‘Festival Republic tent’ full to bursting, and the atmosphere was electric- even with so many people dancing together everyone’s attention was fixed on the band. They’re playing a small tour at the start of 2018 (I’m seeing them in their hometown Reading again in February which is very exciting!) So why don’t you do yourself a favour and bag some tickets to see what all the fuss is about!

Image Sources

1

2

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!