This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Ever since I was little, I’ve always loved books. My obsession started with Jacqueline Wilson, and by the time I was leaving primary school, I’d read every book of hers to date! I’ve always found that reading allows you to experience another life completely different from your own. Unlike films, books encourage your imagination to run wild, and I find it amazing that your interpretation of the select words chosen by the author can vary so much to someone else’s. 

Growing up, I was hooked on fiction and would read books that mirrored my life in some ways (such as teenage girls, high school students etc.) but was the polar opposite in others. I was a die-hard fan of the Twilight books, and I utilised the (few) relatable qualities between Bella and I to imagine myself as part of this fantasy world full of vampires and werewolves. How else can you imagine yourself in such a different world other than by reading a book?

However, as I’ve grown up, my interests have directed themselves elsewhere, such as in philosophy. I studied Philosophy and Ethics at A Level, and during those two years, that’s all I ever read! It opened my eyes into how interesting non-fiction books can be. Reading philosophers actually helped me know myself and what I believed to be true (or definitely didn’t!). What’s more, it can put words to things you’d never actually sat and considered before. For example, Ludwig Wittgenstein’s Language Game Theory is something I’ve thought of a lot since I read about it, but it isn’t necessarily something I’d never considered before. He just eloquently phrases what was an abundance of loose thoughts in my head!

Since starting university, I have pretty much solely read non-fiction. I still think fiction can be enjoyable to read and educational too, but I just get a more intense satisfaction learning something second-hand from the author. Memoirs seem to be my literature of choice. Augusten Burroughs has a few of these, my favourites being Wolf at the Table and Dry. Reading about someone’s actual life – written by that specific person – is fascinating to me. Usually, these books can be quite sad as they retell the realities of some of the worse things that they’ve been through. A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis is one of the saddest memoirs I’ve ever read, as he keeps a diary to collect and distribute his feelings of grief for his lost wife onto paper. 

I’ve been asked by a few people why I like to read these gut-wrenching words; why would I want to put myself into a position I’d hope never to be in? And honestly, I think it’s because I find that the strongest emotions in the world are emitted best through the arts (such as Van Gogh – another love of mine!), and although they might be sad feelings, they’re real. 

Ultimately, I love the possibilities that arise from reading. Whether you prefer light-hearted fiction or non-fiction education, I think reading is such a rewarding experience that you should definitely try if you haven’t already!

Bethany smith

Nottingham '22

Hi! I'm a masters Marketing student at the University of Nottingham. I have just completed my undergraduate course in Hispanic Studies where I went on an amazing year abroad in Lisbon ad Lima!