This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In an era dominated by streaming services, the temptation to binge-watch everything and anything is ever-present, especially addictive reality shows like Selling Sunset. The Netflix series offers a peek into the luxurious lives of real estate agents in Los Angeles, showcasing opulent mansions and the drama-filled world of the elite. But why are we so transfixed by the lives of the wealthy and the magnetism of reality TV?

One significant factor driving our obsession with shows like Selling Sunset is the aspirational – and enviable – element. These shows often depict a lifestyle that seems unattainable to the average person – glamorous parties, designer wardrobes, and stunning multimillion-dollar homes. As viewers, we’re drawn to the fantasy of living such a life, even if it’s just for the duration of an episode. I find it to be a form of escapism, allowing us to indulge in a world vastly different from our own for a few hours. 

Selling Sunset and similar reality shows, such as the spin-off Selling the OC, also thrive on drama and interpersonal conflicts. The intrigue doesn’t only revolve around luxurious properties; it’s also about the relationships, power struggles, and personal dynamics among the cast members. This blend of wealth, glamour, and interpersonal drama creates a compelling narrative that keeps audiences hooked. The show’s focus on relationships even supersedes the focus on real estate: 90% of an episode revolves around drama, whether it be between Chrishell and Nicole, or between Chelsea and Bre. As an avid viewer, I found myself skipping a brief scene illustrating a 20-million-dollar bachelor pad in favour of a twenty-minute argument between cast members. As evidenced by the trending discussions on platforms like TikTok, it’s apparent that I’m not alone in this behaviour. Instead of focusing on the real estate aspect, these discussions revolve around the conflicts, betrayals, and dramatic moments within the show.

Another element contributing to our fascination is the rise of social media and our obsession with peeking into the lives of others. Platforms like Instagram offer glimpses into the extravagant lifestyles of the rich and famous, further fuelling our curiosity and fascination with their day-to-day activities. As a student, it baffles my mind when I see these high-end realtors posing on a beach, a Birkin bag clutched in their hand. Such a life seems impossible!

Whilst critics may argue that shows like Selling Sunset perpetuate materialism and shallow values, I believe that it serves as a form of mindless entertainment, allowing viewers to escape their daily routines for just a few hours. Selling Sunset is a successful show for a reason. 

Bethan Beddow

Nottingham '24

Hi, I'm Bethan and I study English with Creative Writing BA! I adore blog writing, specifically on matters that surround women and femininity, as well as other forms of creative writing such as creating poetry. As a typical English student, my room is brimming with hundreds of books – fantasy and romance are my top genres – and so in my free time I'm usually engrossed in one or two novels.