This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus sat down with first year Philosophy student, Seth Ka- Ncube, who kindly agreed to share his university experience so far.

Name: Seth Ka-Ncube

Course: Philosophy

Year:1

Hometown: Birmingham

How have you found your university fresher’s experience so far?

Interesting to say the least! I have managed to make friends from a variety of different backgrounds. I believe in the whole “work hard, play hard” ethic. No two days are the same and I’ve learnt to go with the flow for best results.

Do you have any interesting talents that you would like to share with us?

To be honest, I wouldn’t call them talents, but skills acquired with time. I can definitely say that I am musically capable since I play the piano on a regular basis and I also used to play the violin, drums and guitar. My family are greatly academic, and have accomplished much in the various divisions of life. Because of this I have tried to find my niche in countless ways. I have always wanted to be successful. Both of my parents founded their own businesses, which has inspired me to be the best that I can be.

That is certainly an impressive collection of skills that you possess. I don’t think you have to worry that much about finding your forte. (hint: it might just be music!) Would you say that you have a favourite genre of music?

My musical tastes are incredibly diverse. I choose what type of music I listen to according to the activity at the time, not the ambience. For example, when studying I find it best to listen to fast pace music to help with creative flow. Sometimes, I look back at the notes that I’ve made and find myself second-guessing as to where my ideas came from!

Sounds very practical indeed, but I wouldn’t expect anything less. Do you have any musical inspirations that have helped mould you as an artist?

I have three main inspirations: Bruno Mars for his lyrical capabilities, Adele for her vocal range, and Olly Murs for his infectious persona. However, these are only musical inspirations and my personal development is a work in progress.

Do you have any goals that you wish to accomplish by graduation?

Firstly, I really want to excel in my course – a 2:1 at least. I would also really love the opportunity to study abroad since it opens doors to numerous exciting opportunities. A more personal goal would be to try and find myself since I believe university is the best place to do that; you’re finally in your own space and have an environment that really helps you find your sense of self. I also believe that studying -psychology from an early age can really help that process.

That sounds like an admirable and idealistic set of goals there. I would like to thank you for your time and wish you the best of luck for your future- it certainly appears to be very bright. 

Edited by Jess Shelton

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.