Mike Dore – Student Union’s Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Our newest Campus Celebrity is Mike Dore, one of the University’s very own student-elected SU officers. We caught up with him to learn exactly what his role is on campus, how he enjoyed his time as a student at the University, and how he now helps make the University of Nottingham a happier, healthier, and safer place.

Tell us a bit about yourself

I’m Mike Dore, but some know me as dingdongdore or Dora the Explorer – I didn’t come up with either of these nicknames I’m afraid! In my spare time I love going to see movies and live gigs, and I come from Chester originally.

Tell us more about your role on campus

Well my position on the SU Exec is Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer which involves campaigning for more support/better provisions for student healthcare and wellbeing whether it’s mental health, sexual health or any other kind of advice/pastoral service. I also support our Equality & Diversity Officers Charlie, Bez, Shabina, Rose, Laura, Iman, and Sarah who provide support networks for different students groups such as BME or LGBT students. I am part of the SU team which consists of 8 full time Exec Officers who exist to represent the 36,000 students at this University.

What inspired you to get involved?

I’ve always had an interest in supporting fellow students and the mentoring side of things, plus anything that involves getting to know tonnes of new people and making friends along the way! I love my job as I have a great purpose, and everything I do is in order to create the best possible experience for our students.

Tell us some facts about your time as a student

I studied Biochemistry & Molecular medicine for 3 years, and I was in the first cohort of that particular course – FACT! I was in Cripps as a Fresher and then I have been in Lenton the last 3 years.

What other things have you been involved with whilst at university?

I was a Karnival Rep in my first year and on the Karnival Exec the year after. This was a great experience working in both teams, I even got to climb Machu Picchu last year! As part of the Cripps Karni team we raised 90,000 for charity, including a large cycle trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. I was also a course rep for Biochemistry and was involved in various welfare campaigns run by the Students’ Union.

What are some of your funny university memories?

Funny stuff is so hard to think of on the spot! Haha… there were tonnes with my housemates obviously, lots of fancy dress in first year, and even in the office this year we have a good laugh, especially when it’s Office Olympics. It was set up by Jonny, our AU Officer, and I’m always getting bronze – not bad, but I’m desperate for silver!

What do you hope to do after you’ve finished working for the university?

I would love to go into people development – mentoring, engaging with people on a day to day basis and instilling a positive culture in the workplace. I don’t exactly know how to go about this, but I’m looking into the HR route…

What do you hope to achieved by the time you finish your position on the SU?

Some specific work I am doing on harassment I am hoping to have made real progress on, but on a broader note- I’ve been working on making the Welfare role more representational and more focused on campaigns with lasting impact. The role is evolving in to much more than someone who simply just hands out condoms – although safe sex is important!

Sum up your time at Nottingham in 3 words:

Eye-opening, busy and exciting!

Allie Pinder

Nottingham

Allie is a fourth year American Studies student, who returned from a year abroad studying at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where she joined the Illinois Zeta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi Sorority. She is the Social Secretary of the AmeriCan Society at Nottingham, enjoys travelling, and has a tiny obsession with the Lion King. 
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.