Kristie Thacker – Oxfam Society President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Kristie Thacker isn’t your ordinary charity fundraiser. As President of the University’s Oxfam Society, Kristie has been involved in a wide range of events and activities, raising awareness of a number of issues Oxfam address, whilst also rejuvenating the idea of charity. Her commitment to a wide range of causes reinforces her passion for making a change and with her organisation of tea parties and coordinating Oxfam’s presence at a number of well-known musical festivals, Kristie is a very deserving candidate of the title Campus Celebrity.

How did you get involved with the Society?

I was actually doing an internship at the time with Oxfam and thought I should get in touch with the society on campus; I didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes! I’ve always found myself connected with Oxfam in some small way, whether that meant being taken charity shopping by my mum as a child, or campaigning with Oxfam at Glastonbury last summer; joining the society seemed like a natural step to take.

Do you have any special/exciting events coming up?

We have a series of ‘media stunts’ coming up on campus to raise awareness of our Behind the Brands campaign, which focuses on the practises of popular food and beverage companies like PepsiCo, and looks at how ethical their supply chains are. Rather than simply boycotting their products, Oxfam looks to work with said companies to improve wherever there are shortcomings. It’s surprising how low brands like Twinings score on things like women’s rights, so it really makes you think every time you put the kettle on.

What is your proudest achievement with regards to what you’ve done for Oxfam?

In terms of the Oxfam Society I’d have to say my proudest achievement was last year when I organised a tea party for International Women’s day. I asked the then President if I could do something with Oxfam to mark the day and then set about arranging just about everything myself. It was quite challenging coordinating all the societies involved on the day, (YogaSoc, Bellydancing and KettleSoc) but we pulled it off and raised a little bit for Oxfam in the process. In terms of what I’ve done for Oxfam in general, it would have to be organising Oxfam’s campaigning presence at a small music festival in Manchester last summer. Despite the torrential rain on the last day, with much of the site closed off due to flooding, it was really rewarding to know that I can lead a group of volunteers and keep them in one piece at the end of it!

Why do you think it’s important that students take the opportunity to volunteer for charities such as Oxfam?

I think volunteering is hugely rewarding and can considerably enrich your life at university. I’ve always volunteered because I have a real interest in people, but it’s also a great way to channel your enthusiasm, whether that’s for politics, the environment or women’s rights. It’s also a tool for change which I think is vital at a time where a lot of students are disillusioned by politics and what difference they can make. As silly as it sounds, myself, along with 499 others, dresses up as George Osbourne outside Westminster as part of a media stunt to ensure the UK government kept it’s pledge that 0.7% of the budget would be spend on foreign aid. Simply put, the government kept its promise, and although I can’t claim this was purely down to our stunt, it still gives you a sense of what you can achieve merely by lobbying your government. For all intents and purposes, and for those of you that are thinking it, it also looks good on your CV.

Do you have any particular goals you would love to achieve through your work as the President of Oxfam Soc?

I think my main goal is to change what charity means at University. A lot of the time people assume charity societies like Oxfam are just about fundraising, which can be quite wearing at times, but Oxfam does so much more. I guess I’m trying to show the more creative side of charity through events like Oxjam and the media stunts, which although require a lot of planning and organisation, are enjoyable for those involved and at the same time, maintain the message at hand. For instance, next semester we’ll be holding socials for those interested in campaigning or stewarding with Oxfam at the larger music festivals around the UK. This way you can experience, say, Bestival in a big group, and for the first time we can chart UoN Oxfam Society’s contribution to the festival scene.

What else do you enjoy getting up to around Campus/Nottingham?

I’m a bit of a charity nut so I’m also Treasurer for the student-led project, Working in Tandem alongside studying for my degree – Geography. Sometimes I have a quick scan of my facebook page to see how many charity-related posts I’ve made; too many and that means a night out is on the cards! It’s a good way to keep myself in check. I’m also a bit of a foodie so my housemates are no strangers to me baking pavlova at 2am. 

I'm Hannah and currently in my third year studying History.
Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.