Jononymous: SU Presidential Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Jononymous: SU Presidential Candidate 

Her Campus Nottingham caught up with the mysterious SU Presidential Candidate Jononymous. Check out what they said about some of their slightly unqiue manifesto points…

What does the role of President mean to Jononymous?

What does the role mean to us.

We believe we see the role of president very different to other candidates. The role means team leader. The SU President shouldn’t tbe pushing their own agenda. But they should be supporting their team with charisma, delegation and a friendly persona. Jononymous has that.

Presidents should only have 1 policy. To support the team and help them achieve their goals.

Jononymous recognises that this will always be the role of SU President.  So we can hit the ground running when elected!

Does the real Johnny Lawrence approve of the decision to continue on with his campaign?

Well…I don’t think he understands what’s going on. I sent him a text the other day asking him to say “I am Jon- he did it but he was very confused. That’s Jon nowadays. He’s actually out in Mexico doing a third Masters degree at the moment. I’m hoping to see him running for President of Mexico soon.

Can you reveal who you are? Or will the identity of Jononymous be revealed after the election results are announced?

The “big” reveal is going to be bitterly underwhelming. I’m no one special. I’m using this as a platform to try and express that it isn’t a popularity contest. It doesn’t matter if I’m science or humanities. Karni exec or not. It doesn’t matter if I’m a fresher or a PhD student. I’m a student that understands how the SU works. That’s all that matters.

If you wanted to me to reveal my secret identity, I will after the results.

Do you think that, just maybe, some of your points aren’t that achievable?

Have we been to the moon? Have we declared war on another country in the past? Is their a tram line in Nottingham?  The answer is yes to all of these. None of these policies are impossible. Dream big and don’t be defeatist. I said it before, I stand to support my team. And that is to bring fun to the office and to defeat any defeatist attitude. That would be my job.

All my policies are plausible. Can they be done in one year is the real question.

Jononymous is just setting up the dominoes. The SU President after me can push them! And I will be pushing Angharad’s dominoes! Does this analogy make sense?

One of our favourite points on the manifesto is the prospect of hiring Dave Benson-Phillips. Do you think there is scope to host a ‘Get Your Own Back’ University wide event?

I actually went to Dave Benson-Phillips website and found that you can hire him to do a ‘Get Your Own Back’ live show. He is also a DJ so we could make a whole weekend out of it if we wanted to hire him. I’ve done my research!

Jononymous seems to care a lot about mental health, something that obviously needs more funding at the University! What would you do to improve things?

Well the manifesto is relatively clear. And the campaign video also makes a very strong explanation.

I’ve spoken to Student Minds and Brain Power, two student run groups (Brain Power is not part of the university) both have said that the issue lies in how we sign post care. Jononymous would develop care from the first step and publicised.  All of the facilities are already in place. The goal is to make the students comfortable enough to take the correct avenues.

The first point of contact needs to be developed. And there needs to be more than one place you can go. Every student is different and some want to talk to the tutors,  some may wish to go straight to the NHS, or the councillors,  or the Student Advice Centre, or to their halls tutor, or to their friends. Support needs to be given to all these directions. So that a student can go in the direction that makes them most comfortable.

We also need to support friends or students with mental health problems. They cannot be forgotten. They are dealing with something they have not been trained to deal with.

Mental health awareness is where we want to work. The facilities are very good bar the long waiting lists. We want to work on that. And a lot of the publicity will be free with Facebook, Twitter etc being popular platforms to spread the word.

But as said before, this falls under the banner of EOW. And so I would support whoever they may be to work on their manifesto points!

What is your favourite part of your manifesto?

My favourite part is actually the format. If you take away the sub bullet points you have a serious manifesto with a joke point at the end with the space policy. The question is…how many other people’s manifstos are like that? Sure put in all the correct buzz words…but how will you follow through.

Read the manifestos with this in mind. Be aware that buzzwords like Lenton Hub and Meal card rollover appear every year.

Anything else you’d like to add for our readers?

Our campaign video is coming our very soon. Please give it a watch and share. And follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JONthenRON

Vote wise. Don’t vote for the name that you saw the most around campus.

QUICKFIRE ROUND

Ocean- yay or nay? Yay

VKs or Jagerbombs? Jager

Pizza or pasta? Pizza

Cats or dogs? Dogs

If you were to go on Mastermind, what would your specialist subject be? Johnny Lawrence

What would your dream job be? SU President #alwayscampaigning

Hallward or George Green? Hallgreen

Gandalf or Dumbledore? Gandalf

McDonalds or KFC? McDonalds

Thank you and good luck with the rest of your campaign!