This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I didn’t actually expect a big change coming from the US to study abroad in the UK but now that I’m here, the 4,000 miles really does make a difference! The College of Charleston, in South Carolina, has its obvious differences – namely perfect weather and a completely different social scene – but in this blog post I want to focus on the side I’m actually supposed to be here for: ACADEMICS!

First of all, our entire week’s schedule is different. In the UK, you typically have a lecture for each class (aka module) once a week. Then depending on the class, you will have an additional seminar for that particular “module” a few times per semester. With the schedule I have now, I’ve got pretty much 5 lectures and 1 seminar per week.  And the way my schedule is laid out, that basically puts me at 2 hours of class per day, with Wednesdays completely free!

1. In the US, you have each class much more frequently. The typical schedule would be three classes that you go to every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and another two classes that you go to every Tuesday and Thursday. This puts you in at least 3 hours of classes a day. Time wise, it isn’t that much of a difference, but you can totally feel it when you’re running around campus to hit three classes per day. I much prefer the more leisurely pace here, where I know I have one class to make all day. In the case of schedules, you win UK.

2. Now let’s talk about reading. In America, you are required to buy textbooks for every class. This always ends up costing an arm and a leg. In the UK, GUESS WHAT AMERICAN FRIENDS, YOU DON’T REALLY HAVE TO BUY TEXTBOOKS!!!! Sure, they recommend some, but like 90% of the readings are found in the library…… but before y’all get too excited, let me explain my dilemma so far.

It is already week 4 in the UK and I’m still figuring out the system of getting my reading done. On the syllabi for the modules, there are several readings for each class that are supposed to be read before you get there… and they are available in the library… but here’s the catch – you are competing with the 200 other students in your module for one of the library’s copies. Does this mean I’m going to have to go to the library once a week, per class, to read the sections I’m supposed to? That is, given they aren’t checked out already by another student. I was told I should photocopy the pages so I can read them at home. But this still means coming back to the library all the time for every class’ readings.

In this case, I definitely prefer having a stack of textbooks on my dorm desk and knowing they’ll be just about all I need all year.  So for coursework, I’m going to give this one to the US.

In this same vein, there is a lot more homework in America. I appreciate those textbooks and I definitely USE them, constantly. You have class 2-3 times a week, with a ton of reading due each time. Often it is not just reading due, but actual work as well. So worksheets, problem sets (we are required to take math classes whether or not we’re majoring in math!), etc. I find myself with a lot more free time here. Of course, this could totally be because I haven’t figured out the library reading system… in which case let’s wish me luck as I eventually must catch up with everyone else, as I’m currently having the most leisurely 3 weeks of my life!

3. In the UK, your total grade is determined by one final paper or one big exam at the end of the semester. In the US, you have several papers and exams throughout the year that all go into your final grade. But the thing is, in the America  you STILL have a huge exam at the end of the year, and often a huge paper, so the mass of readings and paperwork throughout the year doesn’t exactly make up for anything. So UK, YOU WIN THIS.

Overall, I really appreciate how the American university system sort of babies you. They tell you exactly what you have to do, by when, etc.  You’ve got your textbooks there and you always know how you’re doing in the class because you get constant feedback from all the graded things you’re turning in.

I also love how in America, you sign up for all of your classes online. It is so easy to do, and magically there are NO QUEUES to wait in! Don’t even get me started on all the queues….. I think there is a massive amount of unnecessary queues for things we could easily get done online, but that’s for another blog….

Each school system has their perks and their downsides, and it’s hard for me to say which one I like better overall. I’m sure I’ll know by the end of the year. Until then, I need to go figure out this library reading situation.

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!