This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Relationships and romances get all the limelight, but what about friendships? Where would we be without friends? Especially as women, we often undervalue the importance and effect friendships can have upon us. They provide a support network where you can chat, rant or scream about anything you want without judgement. And for those thinking the opposite; you may be surrounding yourself with the wrong women. True friends are not there to judge, they are there to guide and support you. 

I’ve been thinking about how much friendships change and evolve as we get older. There’s those that you simply lose touch with. There’s those you intentionally lose touch with. There’s those that you gravitate closer to. And there’s those life-long friends that you don’t’ talk to everyday, but when you do see them, it’s like no time has passed. There are not necessarily any hard feelings between those friends that you have lost contact with; circumstances change, and people just grow apart. However, it is still nice to make the effort to get into contact with such friends and have the occasional catch up. Especially over the Christmas period; why not call up an old friend and go out for a drink?

Then there’s your best friends. I feel very lucky to have such a special group of friends. We are all at different stages in our lives, but we still talk every day (in the group chat of course) and have our girly nights out. However, you have to put in the effort to do this. As busy as we get, we always set aside a time and date for a day out, and it never disappoints. 

My friends are so special to me, and as I get older, the more I am realising the importance of these friendships and how much I need them. I’ve always been hesitant in speaking to people about how I feel, but I am recognising that there is no shame leaning on your friends and needing their support. Everyone goes through their crap, and friends are there to guide you through it and act as a springboard for all the chaotic ideas you may be having. 

But friendship is a two-way street. They need you just as much as you need them. Check up on your friends! In a time where it is very easy to hide behind social media and put on a happy face, it is easy to think everyone is okay. But, if you haven’t heard from someone in a while, there is no harm in dropping them a text and checking up on them. This may be the little push they need to remind them that you care, and you are there to talk to. 

Time with your friends is a time to unwind and talk openly about things that perhaps only other women understand. Stay connected with your friends and remember that they may need you just as much as you need them.

Katy Townshend

Nottingham '21

Second-year English student at the University of Nottingham