Life > Experiences

‘I’m never drinking again’: How to Combat Hangxiety’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I’m never drinking again…the famous ‘morning after’ words. We lay in bed, head pounding, maybe in last night’s clothes or even worse last night’s makeup, and the whole world suddenly feels like it’s spinning before you… it takes you by storm- hangxiety.

It wasn’t until I came to university that I learnt this term. I mean, I would openly feel horrendous the day after drinking, the anxiety was so real. But when my flatmate blurted out the dreaded hangxiety it stuck and I was like wow what a great word to describe the hangover abomination you experience the day after drinking (I now realise it’s been a thing for ages, I’m clearly wayyyy behind).

So why is it we feel this way? There are multiple factors as to why we can’t help but feel so uneasy after consuming alcohol, some reasons more known than others. However, scientifically the body feels calm when drinking due to the enhancement of Gaba receptors, but then comes the withdrawal. In response to this withdrawal the body increases the level of the excitatory transmitter, glutamate, this all creates an imbalance and often leads to intense anxiety we feel. Of course, the common reason we feel anxiety is through the fear of what we did under the influence of a cult-like leader, wine. Did I embarrass myself? Who did I text? What did I post? This seems to only get worse when you watch your Instagram story and find yourself singing down the phone to your whole following… perfect that will ease me right up.

Although we are all different, here are a few ways I have learnt to combat the dreaded beast:

FOOD

It seems obvious but getting some food is the first step to helping the unease. However, there’s a big but incoming. I know that the double sausage and egg McMuffin is calling your name, BUT don’t do it! I have actually found that making myself some good food that is remotely healthy to replace nutrients actually makes me feel so much better. Although the grease-dripping food is what you crave it only adds the feeling of general despair. So, ditch the Maccies and make some scrabbled egg, or maybe even a smoothie if eating is too much for the nausea to handle.

SHOWER

We have all been there when you can’t possibly think how you will have to get out of your PJs or even bed for that matter. You decide that laying in smelly despair is the only way forward… it’s not. Get yourself up, have a warm shower, wash your hair, use nice care products and finish the shower with a cold blast (promise you it helps). After you are all clean, put on your comfies and change your bedding, because we all know fresh bedding is the first step to conquering the world.

MOVE

Similarly to the shower struggle, we tend to coop ourselves up and spiral in thoughts of last night. However getting yourself up and going for a short walk in some fresh air really is the best cure for any sort of hangover symptoms, alone or with company, yet I find when I feel anxious, company is best.

TALKING

Number one, talking to yourself kindly and number two, talking to others. You can’t help but beat yourself up, often about things that you didn’t even do or weren’t even really that bad so it’s important to talk to yourself kindly because beating yourself up after screaming ‘I need a chicken mayo’ in the street really isn’t going to help. Then there is talking to others, don’t feel anxious alone, vent to friends or family about how you are feeling. Sometimes they help you see the funny side or just tell you to stop being silly.

All this aside, anxiety really is a scary feeling and its not always as easy as trying to make yourself feel better, so if you feel that what you are feeling is out of your control and is causing you to have bad thoughts then perhaps seek medical advice and consider an alcohol detox!

Caitlin Sweeney

Nottingham '23

A lover of Wilde and Shelley, and a guilty pleasure for 80s music. I believe chocolate and tea can solve 98% of my problems, I am always up for new challenges and learning new things !