This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Taking drugs whilst at university has never been a surprising event – students have always had the urge to try substances, both legal and illegal, to blow off steam or just for the thrill. However, a new trend seems to be on the horizon – that involves taking study drugs for educational, rather than recreational purposes. But exactly how smart are these so called ‘smart’ drugs?

A common study drug currently making the rounds is Modafinil, a pill normally prescribed for sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Its alternative name is Provigil and works by boosting your memory and helps focus the mind. It was even commissioned by the Ministry of Defence to be given to soldiers to help fight off fatigue.

But how exactly does it work? The drug essentially affects chemical messengers in the brain known as neurotransmitters – these are the chemicals responsible for transmitting the signals and messages between the cells in your brain. Modafinil is thought to influence more than one type of neurotransmitter, which is why it is believed to have multiple actions. The effects on the neurotransmitter dopamine cause you to become more alert and interested in things, while the impact on norepinephrine and histamine also keep you alert, focused, and help you stay awake. Modafinil is also believed to be able to enhance short term memory by as much as 10%, due to its effects on another neurotransmitter called glutamate.

Professor Barbara Sahakian, a neuroscientist at the University of Cambridge, has recently co-authored a book on smart drugs. Commenting on the why healthy people choose to take substances like modafinil, she said, ‘Some people just want the competitive edge – they want to do better at exams so they can get into a better university or get a better degree. And there’s another group of people who want to function the best they can all the time. But people have also told me that they’ve used these drugs to help them do tasks that they’ve found not very interesting, or things they’ve been putting off.’ Emma Stevens* decided to try Modafinil after a recommendation from a friend. “It’s like you’ve had a cup of coffee, but it lasts much longer,” she said, talking to Her Campus about her experience with the study drug. ‘I felt less energised than coffee and more focused. It didn’t feel overpowering.’

But could these drugs have a negative effect on our bodies? Research has shown that effects of the drug very much vary with the dose taken, and whether the use is long or short term. Professor Sahakian’s work suggests that use of Modafinil over a long period of time could damage sleep patterns. ‘If you talk to students, they’ve often taken a dose and then, when they feel it’s wearing off, they’ve taken another dose,’ she said. ‘And of course that does affect their sleep pattern, because when they should be going to bed, they’ve still got the drug in their system, still exerting its wake-promoting effects. This is of course counter-productive, as we consolidate our memories during sleep.’ Another researcher, Dr Peter Morgan from Yale University, has also warned that prolonged use may affect our long-term memory.

Aside from health effects, does use of the drug raise any moral problems?  Opinion is divided on whether taking study drugs gives you an unfair advantage over other students, with some defending the drug by comparing their use to giving glasses to people with bad eyesight, or paying for tuition for private school. When asked if she would take Modafinil again, Emma said she may do one day if she felt behind on work, although she revealed she felt slightly guilty about taking it in the first place. “I felt a bit bad though, as if I’d cheated,’ she said. ‘I felt like I had an advantage over others”.

A survey by the BBC revealed that out of a number people who had previously tried smart drugs, 92% had said they would do so again. It’s clear that despite any potential side effects – physical or moral – for students in look of a quick fix, the attractions of smart drugs are unlikely to fade away anytime soon. 

Edited by Caroline Chan

Photo Credits

http://topnews.net.nz/images/modafinil.jpg 

Faiza Peeran

Nottingham

Faiza is a third year student studying Biology at Nottingham. If truth be told, she's hoping that blogging about health will encourage her to become a bit more healthy in real life! 
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!