HCN’s Edible Christmas Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Stuck what presents to get for your loved ones this Christmas? Well stress no more, because here at Her Campus Nottingham, we’ve come up with some of the best edible Christmas gifts out there!

1. Chocolate Monopoly

Harrods – £12.95

You can never go wrong with a box of luxury chocolates but why not spruce things up a little with Monopoly: The Chocolate Edition. We all know that Monopoly can get a bit heated at times, but with this chocolate edition everyone’s bound to be a winner! If Monopoly’s not their thing, Games for Motion sell chocolate editions of other favourite games!

2. Cocktail Pastilles

Not On The High Street- £16.95

If you’re looking for a stocking filler, these fancy treats are ideal for those with a sweet tooth. Made to replicate the experience of drinking a cocktail, these pastilles come in six different flavours such as ‘Spiced Rum’ and ‘Berry Daiquiri’ (yum!). They have an alcohol content of 6% so make sure they’re eaten responsibly!

3. Christmas Dinner in a Matchbox

Not On The High Street- £5.99

Containing sweets the flavour of popular Christmas dinner dishes (Sage & Onion Stuffing, Turkey and Christmas Pudding), this is another great stocking filler or novelty gift for those who love Christmas dinner without all that time-consuming cooking.

4. Christmas Bark

Christmas bark is perfect for chocolate lovers and easy to personalise. Grab a couple of the special someone’s favourite snacks in Christmas colours- for example, M&Ms, candy canes and pistachio nuts- to use as toppings. Pop these into mason jars, accessorize with cute ribbons and you’re good to go! Here’s a quick example of some peppermint bark you could try out.

What you’ll need:

• White Chocolate Baking Chips
  • Crushed Candy Canes

Instructions

1. Unwrap the candy canes and place in a medium-size sandwich bag.

2. Crush candy canes by rolling over the bag with a rolling pin, until you have them to your desired texture.

3. Place white chocolate baking chips in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 45 seconds, Stir, then microwave in intervals of 30 seconds, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted.

4. Stir ½ of the crushed candy canes into the melted chocolate, then spread out evenly on your foil-lined cookie sheet.

5. Once the mixture has been spread out, sprinkle evenly with the remaining ½ of crushed candy cane pieces.

6. Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour to let it harden.

7. Remove from refrigerator, peel off aluminium foil, and break into pieces.

5. Cranberry & Lime infused vodka

Okay, so I may have cheated with this one as it isn’t exactly edible, but what student doesn’t love a bit of vodka? Perfect for those who like to make cocktails or simply can’t hack the taste of plain vodka, this is really easy to make and the flavour choices are endless. Check out the recipe below for a simple Christmas edition.

What you’ll need:

• 1 bag of cranberries
  • 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • Vodka

Instructions:

1. Peel the rind off the lime.

2. Poke a hole in each cranberry (I used one prong of a fork).

3. Drop each cranberry into your empty bottle or jar. Drop pieces of lime rind alternately throughout the layers of cranberry. Fill to the top.

4. Add the sugar.

5. Using a funnel fill the bottle with as much vodka as can fit. Seal the top of the bottle/jar. Leave in a dark place for 7 days.

Edited by India-Jayne Trainor 

Sources:

Rebekah is a 2nd year American Studies and History student at the University of Nottingham (UK)