This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The British weekend was invented in Nottingham. Faced with a surplus from overproduction, in 1933 the Boots corporation was keen to increase efficiency but avoid redundancy in its Nottingham factory. The solution: close on Saturdays and Sundays. They even managed to keep workers on the same pay. What’s more, the workers were better prepared for work on Monday after more time off for leisure. Boots made this permanent in 1934, and it soon became an industry standard.

After the pandemic has disrupted work patterns, increased concern for burnout and work-life balance, there are calls to make the weekend even longer.

Spain* has recently announced a trial of the four-day week as the government will launch a pilot project funding companies interested in the idea. They will cover 100% of the company’s costs at first for shortening the week. Support will decrease in the following years, as the company experiences the benefits from it. 

This step-forward brings benefits for workers and businesses. Studies still show that overworked employees are less productive. New Zealand company Perpetual Guardian’s four-day week trial found improvements in job satisfaction, work-life balance, and less stress among workers. Scottish firm, Pursuit Marketing, also experienced a 30% increase in productivity and fewer sick days. It’s evident on a larger scale, too. The most productive countries work on average 27 hours a week. 

The increase in work-life balance can only help women’s careers. Approximately two million Brits are not currently employed due to childcare responsibilities. 89% of those are women. A shorter workweek would allow more time with family and can help people to better juggle commitments. 

Fewer miles driven every week means reducing emissions. Less need for office space and computer use would reduce businesses’ energy consumption.  

Though, it could worsen social divides. People stuck in a big house with a garden did not have the same lockdown as those in cramped flats without laptops. And with a low-paid job that could not be done remotely. Jobs that need someone to be there every day may not be able to change the hours worked. Or they would need more money to hire more people, but in some sectors, like social care which is already facing a skill shortage, that’s tricky. An underprivileged class not entitled to benefits from a shorter working week would become obvious. 

But it could be an opportunity to close divides. Overworked people could reduce their hours and stress, creating more jobs. While those in precarious employment, like the increasing number of people on zero-hour contracts, could benefit from more demand for labour. It could mean more jobs for women, who would otherwise have to work part-time. It would provide more time for family, making unpaid care more equally shared.

As government schemes expire, unemployment will rise. A four-day week would be a great way to create jobs. The shortened five-day week was started to keep people in jobs. It then became the norm. Yet, people may fall into the trap of not asking for more benefits in a poor economy. 

We need a mentality change. Working less is not a privilege. Seeing fewer hours as being lazy leads to a disregard for mental health and legitimacy of women’s unpaid work. What if we saw it as essential?  Essential for the working class, women, mental health and the environment. 

For most underprivileged groups, as time goes on, life gets better. We get more progressive. We can’t continue to let free time decrease. Workers have always gained more and more rights as time goes on. A long weekend is the logical next step.

Elizabeth Marshall

Nottingham '22

.
Jess Smith

Nottingham '21

2020/2021 Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus Nottingham. Aspiring Journalist, with a lot of love for all things bookish. Final Year Sociology student, with a primary interest in Gender Studies, Film Analysis & Mental Health!