Formal Fashion: Society Balls and Formals in Halls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

From Hall Formals to Society Balls, there are plenty of opportunities to dress up at University. It’s great fun to see everyone in their finery and spend an evening dancing away with your friends. But if you’re always the person exclaiming “I don’t know what to wear!” the night before the event, I’ve compiled some outfit ideas to get you through the party season.

The Cocktail Dress

The classic cocktail dress is always a fab choice for a party. The short length is great for a boat party, where tripping over your dress could quite literally land you in deep water. This bold red number from Fashion Union is perfect if you want to make a statement. The off-the-shoulder neckline would look great paired with some vintage style earrings, like these ones by Millie Mackintosh for Dorothy Perkins. Finally, when it comes to shoes, for me it’s the brighter the better.  These electric blue heels from Missguided certainly fulfil the role.

The Maxi Dress

The Maxi Dress is my favourite thing to wear to a formal occasion as it instantly makes you feel glamorous. This grey silk number from Topshop is beautiful and you’d certainly be the belle of the ball. To continue with the theme of glamour, this sequinned clutch from New Look certainly has the wow factor. Indeed, if you have any plain dress, a sparkly clutch and pair of heels will transform it. If the event is extra special, why not wear a crown? This pretty head crown from ASOS instantly creates charming hair so is great if you finish lectures at 6 and have to be at the party for 7.

The Coordinates

If you want to wear something a little different, or plan to hit up town after the event, why not try coordinates? I love this top and short combination from New Look. The intricate beading gives it a charming Great Gatsby look. The great thing is, as they are separates, you can easily wear the top with jeans another time. This cute pair of ballet pumps from River Island are a good alternative to heels when you’re on your feet all night. Finally, I’m a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much sparkle, so I would go for this gold clutch from ASOS to complete the look.

Edited by Nicole Jones 

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!