Flora Maier: SU Women’s Officer Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus Nottingham caught up with Flora Maier,  a 2nd year Ancient History & History student who is running for the position of SU Women’s Officer. Flora is the President of the Voice Your Rights Project and plays golf, is part of Pro-Bono, is part of the filmmaking society and occasionally writes for Impact magazine.

Hey Flora! What made you want to run for the position of Women’s Officer?

I think that a Women’s Network is so, so important on campus. While we have made progress in our society, there is still a lot left to achieve. If we want to change anything, we need to start small. The UoN students, that self-identify* as women need to have a strong community for support, raising awareness and a place to meet other women.

You ran last year as well, so you’re clearly passionate about the role! Is there anything you’re doing differently this year?

Yes, I really am! Last year, I realized that not only was I myself not aware of the presence the Women’s Network had on campus, but so many other women didn’t either. Despite all the great work the Emmas have done, I’d still like to see the awareness and the opportunities for action and engagement in the community being pushed more.

Would you say that you identify as a feminist?

Absolutely. Coming from a family where female opportunity has been at the forefront, I’ve always been told that the key to a successful and peaceful society are equality and education – no matter what gender, or religion, or sexuality you are. I completely believe this and I wish it were already achieved for every woman in the world. I had to have a conversation with my boyfriend and many other male friends that no, feminists are NOT radical, men-hating crazy people who think we need to have a female-only world to live in. That’s not what feminism is about and I really, really want that stigma to go away.

What’s the best/your favourite part of your manifesto?

If I had to choose, it’d be the “Action” section. If I were to become Women’s Officer, I’d really look forward to getting us all involved and create some awesome projects to leave a lasting legacy. Apart from that, integrating the WN with other societies and the outside community to build and strengthen the Network as a whole.

What do you think the most difficult part of your manifesto will be to implement?

I’ve been very ambitious with my manifesto – I know that. The most challenging thing to implement will probably be achieving most of these things in just under a year. Nothing is impossible though, and with the right team and the right resources (and lots of coffee and cookie breaks) I believe that we can do this.

Is there anything we should look out for during the campaign? Slogans, specific branding?

My logo is very bright – I will be at various places on campus at different times, check my Facebook page for details! I don’t have a slogan, because my friends convinced me that “Go with the Flo(w)!” was probably not going to do me any good…

Anything you’d like to add?

I’d just like to say thank you for interviewing me!

QUICKFIRE ROUND 

Ocean- yay or nay? Yay!

Pizza or pasta? Impossible choice.

VKs or Jagerbombs? VKs (Jagerbombs are too reminiscent of past mistakes)

What’s your dream job? Leader of my home country (Austria).

What’s your personal miracle hangover cure? Sleep, Gatorade and a big margarita pizza.

Cats or dogs? Dogs. Always.

If you were to go on the TV show Mastermind, what would your specialist subject be? Art history? Not sure.

Hallward or George Green? Hallward.

Thank you for you time Flora- we wish you the best of luck with your campaign! 

*The Women’s Network have recently changed their definition to be more inclusive and include those who are trans and intersex, including people with complex gender idnetities that include ‘woman’ and or/who experience oprression as women, if they wish.