Life > Experiences

Five things to do in Nottingham this festive period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

With Christmas just around the corner, here are 5 things you can do in the city this year to get you on the festive mood!

1. Christmas at Wollaton

From 2nd December to 1st January, Wollaton Hall will be putting on their Christmas light spectacle for another year. The light trail includes around 13 different light displays guaranteed to have you staring in awe. Finish off the night with a warm hot chocolate or a mulled wine whilst you soak in the festive atmosphere in one of Nottingham’s most iconic venues. 

• Nottingham Winter Wonderland

Who doesn’t love a good Christmas Market? The annual Christmas market is back and better than ever in Market Square, equipped with a Ferris Wheel, a newly designed ice rink, plenty of festive food stall, and enough market stalls to do all your Christmas shopping. Have a wander into town one evening and grab yourself a famous Yorkshire Pudding Wrap and try to not fall over on the ice rink after having a few mulled wines.

• Dick Whittington at Nottingham Playhouse

Everyone loves a pantomime, no matter how old you are. Running from 25th November to 14th January, Nottingham Playhouse is putting on their production of Dick Whittington; a story which follows a poor boy from Gloucestershire who sets out for London with his cat, determined to make his fortune. You just can’t beat the glitz and glamour of a panto to get you in the festive spirit!

• Christmas dinner with your housemates

What could be better than one Christmas dinner? Two Christmas dinners! With term ending around mid-December this year, you have plenty of time to squeeze in a Christmas Day with your house or flatmates. Take a trip to Tesco and stock up on brussels sprouts, a turkey, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets and a few carrots and you can throw a decent Christmas dinner together as a house, for a fairly cheap price too. Grab some Christmas crackers and turn the festive tunes on and you’re all bound to be filled with festive cheer.

• Christmas Decorating with Doughnotts

If you have a sweet tooth and want to try something a bit different, head on down to the famous Doughnotts store in the city centre and book one of their Christmas doughnut decorating workshops. Ticketholders will be given three doughnuts to decorate however they please in the festively decorated seating area.

Tamsin Draper

Nottingham '23

Having completed an undergrad degree in History and Politics at Nottingham, I have now moved onto studying MSc Environmental Leadership and Management. I am a lover of all things green and sustainable, travelling, concerts, and good coffee!