This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The education system is one of the most vital social institutions in the UK, and fortunately, we have the funding to maintain and nurture it. Our education system helps to prepare the younger generation for their future with the hope to inspire them, while exploring issues such as equality and diversity.

However, having an education is something that we can take for granted in our country. Sometimes, we can forget that our education is actually a privilege (rather than a chore!), and not as accessible or to such a good standard on a universal scale. 

An intrinsic aim of our education system is the promotion of gender equality and significant improvements (particularly for girls in education), have been made overtime. 

The education system we have now in the twenty-first century has come a long way with the rise of girls choosing to study subjects such as science, technology, engineering, and maths (STEM), as well as encouraging more women in leadership roles – all of which is influenced by the support from teachers, family members and the government. 

However, our education system’s road to equality is far from over…

The education system is the perfect opportunity to help prepare women for leadership roles. And although widening female opportunities is a necessary focus, we must not forget or dismiss the challenges associated with men in education too. 

Heathfield’s article, How to Promote Women in Leadership Roles, comments that ‘many of the challenges that women face in the workplace are the same as those for men. These challenges include the work/ life balance, parenting, juggling many responsibilities and multitasking’. Importantly, we are striving for an equal playing field for the sexes in education and then beyond in the workplace too – which involves acknowledging both the experiences of men and women, and boys and girls.  

Education is also vital in raising the literacy levels of children across the country and it is generally boys that are struggling in comparison to girls. As an English student, of course you’d expect me to bang on about the importance of being able to read and write but they really are necessary skills. Without them, simple tasks such as understanding paperwork, timetabling and scheduling events, presenting ideas – tasks that you will find yourself carrying out in most occupations – become almost impossible. Statistics claim that nearly 19,000 boys are starting secondary school with a reading age barely above that of a seven-year-old which I find shocking. To attain equality in education, this disparity definitely needs to be addressed.

Statistics also show that 132 million girls worldwide did not attend school in 2016, and so it is clear that large improvements can be made in terms of education for both of the sexes (but by tackling different issues)… 

More investment is required to overcome these problems in education – further supporting teaching staff and consequently the pupils too. Also, on a more global scale, funding in education could open more opportunities for both sexes and emphasise its equal importance – and in turn, promote a more equal, liberal, and diverse world in which to live.

Amy McClelland

Nottingham '22

I’m a second year English student at the University of Nottingham. In my spare time, I enjoy watching films and TV shows as much as I do reading books. Staying fit and healthy is very important to me but my love of chocolate is greater ;-) I love travelling and I would love to visit Italy because I’ve never been! I am a feature writer for HerCampus Nottingham magazine.
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.