Does social media stop us from living in the moment?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It is clear to say that we are a very social media-orientated generation. We like to take photos and save them in our camera roll or potentially post them to show everyone our ‘exciting’ lives. It can be nostalgic and reminiscent looking back on memories, however, if I am being honest, I am starting to become more conscious of how social media is slowly consuming us. I might even go as far as to say that it is harming our ability to live in the moment.

The main event that caused me to think about this topic was when I went to a concert. When the singer came on the stage, it was understandable everyone wanted to video their entrance. However, what began to confuse me is that hardly any people put their phones away and instead filmed the majority of the concert and it made me wonder: ‘why do people try to capture everything through their cameras?’

The main reason that everyone will be familiar with is the pressures of social media. It has evolved to become almost like a competition- we are all competing with one another to represent the best version of ourselves. We want to prove to each other that we are just as exciting as one another; it creates an idealised persona of ourselves. Simultaneously, all of the times when we are inactive or upset are eradicated. This, therefore, only shows the moments on the timeline that want to be seen. As a teenager in this generation, I can see the pressure is rooted in wanting to present the great parts of our lives and so capturing it through a photo and video is the only way to show that. Despite it can be uplifting to show events on social media, some may think it is creating an artificiality in society- are they doing it for themselves or their social media?

Another reason why someone may want to capture everything through our cameras is that we have become a generation from society afraid of losing memories. Sometimes, we take photos so we can have a snapshot of that moment and be able to have it as something that we can reflect on and remember as a joyful time. However, self-consciously, it can be from a fear of forgetting a time they don’t want to forget- it acts as a comfort. But, why can it be sometimes harmful to be taking photos all the time?

My thoughts on this is our obsession with taking photos and videos means we cannot truly live in the moment. We are living moments through the lens, not through ourselves. We become so immersed in taking the correct photo, making sure it is at a good angle if the lighting is correct or waiting for the absolute perfect moment to capture. Whilst this is happening, we aren’t completely engaged at the moment. A photo memory is nice but an inner memory is more sentimental; you can remember it with all your senses. It may feel more private yet sometimes that is better- only you can truly experience that moment. Social media attempts to capture that moment but only we can be immersed in the memory. Our focus on posting has led society to not fully enjoy what we are experiencing at that moment.

Whilst it is comforting to have moments in your camera roll, maybe we need society to change the stigma that we must prove ourselves to others on social media. Next time we are at a concert, maybe we should put our phones away and live in the moment.

Kate Hayhurst

Nottingham '24

Kate is the Head of Reviews at the Nottingham Her Campus, where she is the first point of contact for anyone seeking help writing reviews and collaborates with outside projects and companies for reviews. Her interests are in lifestyle and entertainment. She is currently a final-year student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she plays netball, leads a charity combating Period Poverty, engages with creativity and always drinks iced coffee.