Life > Experiences

Discounts and Excessive Deliveries: The Dark Side of Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The biggest shopping event of the year has been looming over us since Halloween, and with Christmas approaching it’s difficult to ignore the Black Friday deals. Certainly, my inbox and social media feeds have been filled with Black Friday promotions: 30% off here, 60% off there. But it’s these constant advertisements which send us into a shopping frenzy, causing us to pull out debit cards at any moment (and pull out our hair in the stress of it all) to get the best deals. Unfortunately, there is a dark side to this shopping craze as the environment is affected in ways which companies and business owners absolutely do not want to reveal. 

Black Friday, in ways similar to the fast fashion industry, promotes mindless consumption of goods by using marketing techniques which make products, and their low prices seem exclusive. The narrative goes: Black Friday is the best day out of the year to buy anything you may have ever considered buying. But this inevitably leads to unnecessary purchases. Global consumerism increases, so more products need to be manufactured and shipped worldwide, sending Black Friday’s carbon footprint through the roof. One report from Waste Managed found that this year’s Black Friday will likely generate 429,000 metric tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions from deliveries alone.

Another problem is the amount of landfill waste created by overconsumption on Black Friday. Although the bargains online seem like the perfect opportunity to buy someone a Christmas gift, it’s best to think about whether they will consider returning it. This is because a disproportionate number of online returns are tossed into landfill because the process of restocking the product onto shelves is complicated. The report mentioned previously revealed that 80% of products bought on Black Friday eventually end up in landfill, are incinerated (which releases greenhouse gases), or are not recycled properly. 

Black Friday deals also contribute to the improper recycling of e-waste, a term used to describe electronic items which are no longer used. Only 29% of e-waste caused by Black Friday sales is recycled, and the rest is buried or incinerated, and much of it is exported from the UK to developing countries where workers extract precious metals from the products- and in some cases are only paid $1.50 per day to do so.

Waste Managed found that last year UK shoppers spent £4.3 billion in the Black Friday sales, however this is expected to drop by 18% this year due to the cost-of-living crisis and the population’s reduced disposable income. However, if you are tempted to buy something on Black Friday it’s important to ask yourself these questions first:

• Do I need this product? How often will I use it?
  • Is the product recyclable if I decide to get rid of it?
  • Can I buy this item second-hand instead?

Although many companies contribute to the environmental damage caused by Black Friday, there are some ethical brands which refuse to participate. For example, Patagonia’s ‘Don’t Buy This Jacket’ advertisement in The Times really sums up the point about overconsumption and thinking about something twice before you buy it. Deciem, the parent company of The Ordinary skincare, boycotted Black Friday by making everything 23% for the whole of November instead, coining it ‘Knowvember’ to raise awareness of the climate crisis.

By spending less and buying better, companies will be forced to reconsider consumer’s habits and Black Friday can leave its legacy of environmental harm behind.

Sophie Robinson

Nottingham '23

Hi, I am currently a third year English student and look forward to writing articles for Her Campus :)