This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Edible gifts will sure go down well this Christmas – who wouldn’t enjoy something festive, delicious and homemade?  A lot cheaper but just as thoughtful as buying gifts, friends and family will appreciate the time and effort that you put into making these personal presents.

Cookie in a Jar

The perfect gift for a novice baker! The main ingredients are provided and the method is made simpler. Also, using a cute jar for this gift will mean that the friend/relative can re-use it.

For each jar:

Ingredients

• 75g plain flour
  • 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 75g soft light brown sugar
  • 60g oats
  • Plus 50g dark chocolate chips and 50g fudge chunks for the Choc Chip Fudge version or
  • 50g white chocolate chips and 50g dried cranberries for the Cranberry & White Choc version

For a batch of 12 cookies, you will need: 1 x jar of cookie mix, 1 egg, 2 tbsp vegetable/sunflower oil

Recipe:

1. Preheat the oven to 180c (fan)/200c.
  2. Line a baking tray with paper or grease well.
  3. Empty the contents of the jar into a mixing bowl.
  4. Add the egg and oil and stir well.
  5. Roll into balls approx. 3cm in diameter or dollop spoonfuls on to the baking paper, spaced well apart.
  6. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.

Hot Chocolate Stirrers

The perfect gift for hot chocolate lovers, these chocolate stirrers will add extra indulgence and chocolateness to this comforting drink.

Ingredients:

• 300g dark, white or milk chocolate broken into squares
  • Selection of chocolate: buttons, hundreds and thousands, mini fudge pieces or chopped peppermint candy canes to decorate
  • 6 cupcake cases
  • Pencil
  • Pastry brush
  • 6 empty 47g fromage frais pots (washed and dried)
  • 6 wooden lolly sticks
  • Cellophane and string or ribbon for wrapping
  • 6 gift tags

Recipe:

1. Push a small hole in the middle of the cupcake cases with a pencil and put aside for later.
  2. Dip the pastry brush in the sunflower oil and paint a very thin layer of oil over the insides of the fromage frais pots.
  3. Put the chocolate in a bowl and heat in the microwave in 30-sec bursts until runny, stirring after each blast. Or melt it in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. If using different types of chocolate, melt them separately.
  4. Carefully pour the melted chocolate into the pots.
  5. Put a lolly stick in the middle of each and sprinkle your chosen decorations around it.
  6. Sit a cake case on top of each pot so that the chocolate is covered and the stick pokes through the hole.
  7. Put them in the fridge to set overnight.
  8. The next day, carefully pull the chocolates out of the pots and throw away the paper cases. Wrap each in cellophane tied with string and write a tag to read: ‘Simply stir into hot milk.’

Snowball Truffles

So easy to make yet surprisingly elegant! These rich, decadent truffles are ideal for the more sophisticated chocolate-fan.

Ingrediens:

• 200ml double cream
  • 200g good-quality dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
  • 200g desiccated coconut

Recipe:

1. Pour the cream into a saucepan and bring just up to the boil.
  2. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
  3. Pour over the boiling cream, then stir until the chocolate and cream are well blended and smooth.
  4. Cool, then set aside in the fridge until the mixture is solid –  about 2 hours.
  5. Scoop out teaspoons of the mixture and roll into small walnut-size balls with your hands.
  6. Sprinkle the coconut onto a plate and roll the truffle in the coconut until evenly covered.

The truffles will keep in a cool place for 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

Edited by Jenine Tudtud

Sources:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4940/snowball-truffles

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/hot-chocolate-stirrers

http://cdn.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/DSC05334.jpg

Annie Bath

Nottingham

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.