The Oscars is known as one of the most glamorous nights of the year. Everyone’s favourite movie stars line up on the red carpet, dressed up and in millions of dollars worth of jewellery that none of us will be able to afford in our lifetimes. It’s a night full of high’s and low’s, with funny and heart-warming moments, as well as cringe-worthy and embarrassing moments littered throughout. While you may think your crisis night was a night full of dignity, regret, drinking and laughter, the Oscars definitely beats crisis in all of these categories…and more! While many news outlets have decided to focus on the negatives of the night, I think we should try to look at the positives because there were definitely plenty.
1. Obviously no awards ceremony is complete without Chrissy Teigen producing Oscar-worthy memes at some point during the night. Let’s face it; Teigen is our spirit animal, representing every student facing a 9am after a night out or a long-haul stint in the library.
2. You cannot ignore Brie Larson’s beautiful reaction to Casey Affleck winning the Best Actor Award for ‘Manchester By the Sea’. Her lack of emotion and refusal to applaud resonated with many other guests and viewers alike. You go gal!
3. The magnificent Sunny Pawar is like a little angel from the heavens. He basically won the Oscars and the skit of him playing Simba will forever remain one of the best moments in the history of the Oscars.
4. One only dreams that a meme will be born on one of the most star-studded nights of the year, and that dream came true in the form of Nicole Kidman. Her extremely awkward applause earned her the elite position of top meme. But really; how does someone clap like that?
5. One of the most tremendous moments of the night was the arrival of Katherine Johnson, who presented alongside the cast of Hidden Figures. Johnson was honoured by the Academy and received a standing ovation; an amazing honour for a woman who has achieved so much, but received so little praise.
6. And finally, how does this girl stay calm after just being hit in the head by a fake wave!? I wish I was that composed. After the Oscars I think everyone wants to be Moana.
While the Oscars was a pretty big mess, full of awkward wins and multiple mess-ups, the Academy Awards is still able to provide us with plenty of meme material to suffice until the next Awards season. And for that, we are thankful.
Edited by Jess Shelton