The Best Film Adaptations of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

We all know that feeling of initial excitement, and then crushing dissapointment when our favourite book is turned into a movie but the adapatation just doesn’t live up to the hype. Here’s our list of favourite film adaptations of all time, from 10th to 1st. Enjoy! 

10. The Shining

‘Here’s Johnny!’ We all know it, we all love/ hate it. The two things Stephen King is known for are his ability to write more novels in a year than there are days and his talent for suspense. The Shining will make you jump behind your sofa clutching your favourite teddy bear/ the nearest housemate. Stanley Kubrick did a sterling job with this one.

9. To Kill a Mockingbird

I feel like this one should automatically be reserved a place on every ‘best film adaptations’ list. While the book is unbeatable, the film certainly does it justice. If you somehow missed ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ during your GCSE’s, don’t feel like you’ve made a lucky escape. You missed out.

8. The Pianist

If you want to cry about life’s injustices, this is the film for you. A World War Two film following the life of a Jewish pianist, this film brilliantly captures the struggles so many faced in wartime Europe. If you’re unsure about this one, just listen to the soundtrack.

7. A Clockwork Orange

I have to put the success of Stanley Kubrick’s (arguably) best film down to the book for this one. Anthony Burgess’s dystopian novel is chilling. You find yourself sympathising with a rapist who, in his spare time, attacks strangers with his fellow ‘droogs’ (friends). There are no heroes in this film, only villains.

6. Apocalypse Now (Heart of Darkness)

Apocalypse Now took a classic British Imperialist novella and transformed it into a comment on the Vietnam War. If you’ve always heard the phrase ‘I love the smell of napalm in the morning’ but never known how it originated, it’s from Apocalypse Now. It’s insane cast (Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford, Martin Sheen, Laurence Fishburne) and genius director (Francis Ford Coppola) create a timeless masterpiece.

5. Forrest Gump

We bet you didn’t know this was a book first. The film has completely overshadowed its origins and rightly so. If you haven’t seen it yet where exactly have you been? And watch it now.

4. Fight Club

Here’s another must-see. Not only is the casting on point, storyline true to the book, and cinematography perfect for the genre, but the music. Oh man the music. If you need motivating, I highly recommend it.

3. The Talented Mr Ripley

I’m not sure I’ve ever struggled so much to get my head around a character, but that’s a good thing. Matt Damon portrays one of the most complex characters on screen to date. His emotional turmoil is clear but subtle, and intensely captivating. Also Jude Law is in it, always a plus.

2. No Country for Old Men

Cormac McCarthy’s has made quite a name for himself in the literary world because of his experimental contemporary style, and the adaptation of his book has moved him into the film industry’s spotlight too. If you want a proper badass bad guy and a well-earned break from the usual Hollywood ending, watch this.

1. The Godfather

This is, without a doubt, the best adaptation of a book the world has ever seen and (bold statement) will ever see. It is the ultimate gangster film. It’s a timeless classic. And anyone who hasn’t seen it, take a two and a half hour break from your studies. It’s worth it. And guess what? It’s directed by Francis Ford Coppola and stars Marlon Brando.

Edited by India-Jayne Trainor 

Sources: