Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: What’s the Best Care for Your Hair?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s easy to fall into the trap of buying whatever is on offer when it comes to shampoo and conditioners. The ranges that smell the nicest or have the prettiest packaging are often the priciest ones, but what’s going on inside the bottle, and how does this affect what you should be putting on your hair?

Dry or damaged:

A lot of us give our hair a real battering these days – I’m certainly guilty of this! If you dye your hair regularly or are addicted to your straighteners, then your hair might be in this category.

Shampoo/conditioner: the key thing to look out for is a product that is SULPHUR-FREE. Sulphates are put in most hair products so it will be pretty clear on the bottle if it doesn’t contain any. The problem with these little chemicals is that they strip the natural keratin from your hair, leaving it dry and brittle. Choosing a product that is sulphur-free allows your hair’s protein to build up, giving it strength and making it look a bit more healthy! Check out this range by L’Oreal (£5.99). L’Oreal do a lot of salon-specific products so their technology is quite sophisticated. Buy it HERE.

Something extra: you’ve probably been living in a cave the past couple of years if you haven’t yet heard about Argan oil! This is a miracle-in-a-very-small-bottle, and best used in its most natural state. So do invest in a bottle of the oil itself (£14.99) rather than products which claim to contain it, because in reality they will have a very low concentration of the oil. Despite the small size, it lasts a very long time! Simply rub a few drops in to the midsection of your hair (wet or dry) and preferably leave to dry naturally. You’ll notice your hair becomes much smoother very quickly. Buy it HERE.

Flat or lifeless:

Fine hair can often look flat and lifeless, and you need to be especially careful with the products you use because they have a tendency to weigh it down.

Shampoo/conditioner:  Volumizing conditioners are good because they contain protein which builds on the hair’s natural protein. Use a lightweight formula like Mark Hill’s (£5.49) to avoid weighing down the hair at the roots. Buy it HERE.

It’s also really important to use an anti-residue shampoo to remove any remnants of product that have built up and add weight to the follicles. This one from Neutrogena has great reviews but you’ll have to order it online from the States! (Current exchange rates starts it at £3.53). Buy it HERE.

Something extra: I swear by this Lee Stafford product (£9.50) – again, a little goes a long way. Shake the powder on the roots of the hair and using the tips of your fingers, push the roots up. You’ll notice volume immediately! It’ll feel a little sticky but don’t worry – the product absorbs excess moisture from the scalp so your hair will still look clean and natural. Buy it HERE.

Thick and curly:

The best shampoos for thick curly hair will define curls and reduce frizz. Thick hair has more protein than fine hair, so it can absorb more moisture which results in frizz.

Shampoo/conditioner: using a moisturising shampoo will help to stop the hair from absorbing excess moisture from the atmosphere after styling. This one by Dark & Lovely (£4.09) is specifically aimed at afro-Caribbean hair and locks in moisture while also detangling. Buy it HERE.

For other ethnicities this Organix shampoo (£6.99) contains Macadamia oil which softens the hair and also adds moisture. Buy it HERE.

Something extra: A spray which defines curls and gently sculpts your thick locks is perfect for this hair type. This one by L’Oreal (£3.05) holds the hair in place but doesn’t give that unpleasant crusty feeling that often comes with hairspray! Tease through small sections of the hair individually for a secure style, or for a more natural look spritz over the body of your hair and scrunch gently. Buy it HERE.

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!  
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.