Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: Turmeric! I’m telling you…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I know previously I’ve gone into detail about more than one face-treat ingredient but turmeric is special. Occasionally, a saffron substitute (which is obviously a big deal), turmeric has had innumerable uses in the past. These stem initially from India and China and the plant is still currently utilized as a healing, whitening and anti bacterial tool. Some Indian betrotheds use it to make their skin look fresh, beautiful and young before they exchange their vows.

Over the summer, I was in Austria where the sun was blistering hot and my face was looking a little red and I thought I should try to soothe my skin a bit with the turmeric face treat.

Turmeric Face Treat!

~ Probiotic yoghurt (I use soy yoghurt)

~ Turmeric

~ Sodium Bicarbonate

~ Honey*

~ [A ‘dribble’ of coconut oil]**

= The outcome? My face felt a lot fresher (and whiter) – so I was pretty chuffed!

Allegedly using it as a daily scrub added to a face wash can help even out pigmentation. I haven’t tried this but if you want lightened skin anyway it could be a fun thing to do. Sorry my lil tan loving friends – it is so soothing though.

It is also noted to be a teeth whitener, but watch yourself or you’ll end up dyeing your toothbrushes (yep I did that…), un-varnished nails (…and that), white surfaces or porous plastic (managed to miss those) which might get in the way!

Keeping in mind it’s getting a bit chilly, our faces will be subjected to the biting wind and the spearing rain, and we’ll probably accumulate some damage inadvertently – which sucks. The good thing is that the beliefs surrounding turmeric’s healing properties are not unfounded.+

If this little treat can manage to positively affect wound healing, why not give it a try on your face? I did (but do remember this is the kid who rubs banana skins on her face J4J). I also tried it on my boyfriend who definitely loved it… Anywaaay, in reference to its antibacterial properties- what better than inhibiting bacterial growth and healing your inflamed or sore pimples by applying it topically!

+They can be linked to one of its major constituents; curcumin. This yellow thing has been shown to bind the triple helix structure of collagen without hindering it from doing its thing. This binding in turn actually can help promote wound healing and we could be led to believe, reduce oxidative stress (oxidative stress is caused by free radicals that actually occur in the wound healing process itself).

Conclusion, turmeric is pretty cool eh???

*if you are a hardcore non-honey utilizing vegan, you can omit this step. If you’re interested as to why you’d want to add honey, check out my honey post as to why it is a cute addition to facemasks.

**or a different oil (jojoba/olive). Austria was about 37 degrees Celsius almost every day, my coconut oil was pretty liquid due to its low melting point. You might want to microwave a little bit if you do choose to use it in icy Britain.

A really good reference about the use of it in India is linked below:

http://articles.timesofindia.i…

I am 20, a zoologist, vegetarian (verging on vegan) & skin obsessed female. I love natural health care and go out of my way to find what really works. All my methods are tried and tested on yours truly :) Save the bees!
Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.