nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Back to Uni: My Experience Living at Home as a Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Going to university, and living at home, are two things generally not considered to be synonymous. And for many people, certainly, the stereotypical images of living in halls of residence and student houses are indeed a reality. When I applied to university, I actually wanted to be far away from home as I viewed living at home, or even coming home regularly as a bit of a soft option. However, fast forward a few years and that is exactly the position I now find myself in, and I know that an increasing number of students are choosing to do the same. So this blog is basically a chance for me to share a few of my experiences and offer a few tips to anyone else in, or looking into being in the same position. 

I know that my university journey has so far been rather unconventional. I started my first year at the University of Southampton, four hours from home. However at the end of the year I decided that for several reasons I was going to transfer up to my home university, the University of Nottingham. Last year I was able to find a room in a student house for the year, so despite the fact that I was back in my home city, I still felt part of the student community in Nottingham. However due to a last-minute change of plans I’ve found myself back with my parents this year. I’m not going to lie; this prospect didn’t exactly excite me! 

Having now pretty successfully (if I do say so myself) navigated my way through the first couple of weeks, I’ve actually discovered that there are a lot of benefits to living at home. Obviously, I am saving a considerable amount of money this year, which is always a good start! Also, there are the smaller perks, like the fact that I don’t always have to cook, or put the washing on, as I have my parents to take turns with. When I had to buy my own food last year, I almost always bought apples because they were cheap, but when someone else is buying the food I will happily have the berries or the pineapple – you’d be amazed how much you notice the price of things when you’re paying!!

The main thing I was worried about was that I wouldn’t really be able to properly be part of the student community, and that my social opportunities would be limited. When you are an hour bus journey away from university, you do have to plan when you are coming and going to places, especially in the evenings because you don’t want to find yourself having to wait in the cold at a bus stop for half an hour. I’ve definitely found that it is still possible to be part of the wider university and be an active member of sports clubs and societies, but you definitely do have to be more committed – be prepared for some later nights and some earlier mornings!

Finally, the last thing I’ve discovered is that when I tell people I’m living at home, it doesn’t change how they view me at all. It’s true when people say that universities are home to such a wide spectrum of people, each with their own reasons for being there. So this is also just a little note of encouragement for anyone who is currently living at home, or is considering it for the future – it doesn’t have to be isolating or boring. I very much feel a part of the University of Nottingham,  even though I’m a little further away than most, so bring on this year!

Rebekah Dussek

Nottingham '21

Reviewer and Head of Social Media for Her Campus Nottingham