This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The price of new books has increased dramatically in the past couple of years, meaning you can now expect to pay nearly £10 for a singular book. If you’ve got a long TBR (to be read) list, that list can get pricey very quickly. Second-hand books are the perfect way to get around this expense, while also doing your bit for the planet! Most, if not all of them, are also excellent quality. Second-hand books are a great way to enjoy books while remaining budget friendly. 

In recent years, the popularity of digital reading has increased. Some people prefer reading on a Kindle, especially now that their quality has improved over the years. However, despite their charming quality of being lightweight, many people are still opting for the ‘real thing’. Perhaps not wanting to spend money on digital books, or preferring to display colourful covers or show off to guests what kinds of books they’re interested in. The range of reasons for reading using any form varies person to person, but I believe you can tell a lot about a person by the books on their shelf! 

Whether you’re wanting to build an impressive library and a literary fanatic or love exploring and finding hidden gems, second-hand book shops are the place for you! By purchasing second-hand books, you are doing your bit for the environment, especially considering most of the proceeds go to charities! The likelihood is, you’re not only helping the environment, but you’re helping people too. You can go even further and donate some of the books you don’t want or re-donate the ones you previously purchased!

Alongside your usual fiction and non-fiction, you can normally find a whole section dedicated to antique books, they hold memories and are a little slice of history. They often have the most beautiful designs and become enchanting if you find notes hidden behind the cover page, addressed to the recipient. It’s no longer just a book, it’s someone’s possession. Something that someone potentially really looked forward to receiving. I’ve found a children’s book from 1888 in the midst of the antique shelves of an Oxfam bookshop. It’s my little piece of history, taking pride of place on my bookshelf. 

Second-hand bookshops are also great for children’s books. There’s so many of them, making them the perfect gift for the little ones in your life, or additions to any classics collector’s bookshelf. I find second-hand books make great gifts! They demonstrate thought and love rather than gifting the same old bath set, which everyone seems to receive during Christmas and birthdays. It really gets you to thinking about what someone would appreciate. You can find absolute gems in second-hand book shops. Little treasure troves in the middle of the high street. 

My recommendations for places to get started for pre-loved books include Oxfam – where I often find my favourites, National Trust Properties – one of my favourite days is going around a National Trust Property and ending it with a scavenger hunt in the book shop, and World of Books – an online alternative, and perfect for any needed specifics! With Oxfam book shops so easily accessible from campus, and World of Books so easy to order online, there has never been a better time to invest in second-hand books! 

Hannah Kane

Nottingham '25

Hannah is a 2nd Year Biblical Studies and Theology Student at Nottingham. Her articles range from reviews to culture to the nuances of every day life. In her free time, she volunteers at Nottingham Castle and Wollaton Hall, and can often be seen avoiding hills on campus at any possible convenience!