This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

From friends, family, books, films, emails, lectures, speeches, and other rags I’ve picked up along the way: advice from other people. In no particular order other than by which they came to mind.

1.       We are all smart. Distinguish yourself by being kind.

2.       Never wear shoes you can’t run in.

3.       You’re not a quitter, you’re a trier.

4.       It is a smaller part of your overall degree, a tiny part of your overall life, and in the long run the learning is more important.

5.       Love makes you stupid.

6.       Men are an accessory, not your whole life.

7.       Too often we spend our young lives wishing we could be very grown up; and then we spend our adulthood wishing we could be young again.

8.       To savour is neither sweet nor bitter – it is to taste.

9.       There is nothing wrong with a quiet, little life.

10.   Change what you can, accept what you can’t.

11.   Most people do not listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

12.   If we don’t laugh, we cry.

13.   You do you.

14.   Surround yourself by strong women.

15.   What’s the point in being happy now if you’re going to be sad later? The answer is, of course, because you’re going to be sad later.

16.   It’s not where you go, it’s who you go with.

17.   Don’t let the sun set on your anger.

18.   If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving one be me.

19.   We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.

20.   It’ll pass.

21.   Dinner parties are the punishment of the middle age. Enjoy the pub while you are young.

22.   Always bring a coat, even if you think it won’t be cold.

23.   Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

24.   Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.

It is helpful to listen to other people’s words. Listen to what is important to them and the lessons they learnt through hurting.

Alice Reading

Nottingham '20

Third year English student at the University of Nottingham.