This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Award Season is upon us, and it’s a great time to reflect on the year of movies that we have gotten. It has been a year jam-packed with so many amazing new releases, but if you are out of the loop, it is really easy to get lost in what’s worth seeing – or in some cases, what movies have even come out this year. The Oscars nominations are generally a great starting point for directing you to the hottest movies of the year, and especially the Best Picture nominations which include 10 amazing films. In this article, I’ll be giving a quick guide on my personal favourites and the one’s I think will be the top contenders for the top prize.

1. The Banshee of Inisherin, directed by Martin McDonagh

This film is set on the imaginary remote island of Inisherin in Ireland, telling the story of the worrying consequences when two lifelong friends stop being friends after one ends their friendship. It stars Colin Farrell (The Gentleman, In Bruges) and Brendan Gleeson (Harry Potter, In Bruges) who are all able to showcase the beauty of a film where not much actually *happens*. However, this movie is far from boring. It is hilariously funny in some moments, while also being dark and emotional in others. It deals with some deep questions, such as our legacies on earth and the point of being a nice person, while still being an incredibly entertaining watch.

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once, directed by The Daniels

This is one of the most creative, fun, and exciting movies that I have seen in a very long time! It was released earlier this year and follows Michelle Yeoh (Crazy Rich Asians, Shang-Chi) as Evelyn Quan, a Chinese Immigrant who owns a laundromat and finds herself in a situation where she is forced into connecting with other versions of herself in order to save the multiverse from a powerful being called ‘Jobu Tupaki.’ It is as wacky and absurd as you would expect, with Evelyn being able to connect to every single version of herself that has ever existed, such as a karate master or a highly skilled chef. Despite all the craziness, this film is able to tell an extremely touching story that many people across the world can relate to, and it will definitely make you cry by the end. I think that this movie is the top contender for Best Picture winner, and I agree because not only is it a fantastic movie, but it is also an opportunity for more Asian representation in Hollywood which is extremely important.

1. The Fabelmans, directed by Steven Spielberg

This is a coming-of-age story which is a semi-autobiographical recount of Steven Spielberg’s life growing up. In recent years, I haven’t enjoyed Spielberg’s more recent films but ended up absolutely loving this film. It follows a young man called Sammy as he discovers a life-altering family secret, and how he uses his love for film to find answers and truth about his life, and the people around him. It feels like a beautiful love letter to film, and the huge effect it can have on people, whether they like watching movies, or making them. It stars Michelle Williams (Shutter Island, Brokeback Mountain) as Sammy’s mother, and she is incredible as she creates a complicated but all-loving character which makes this film so enjoyable. It also features Paul Dano (The Batman, Prisoners) and Seth Rogan in lead roles which only add to this fantastic film.

1. Tár, directed by Todd Fields

The film stars Cate Blanchett as the character of Lydia Tár, who in the film is considered to be one of the greatest living composers/conductors and is the first ever female chief conductor of a major German orchestra. The story follows her as her egotistical and unethical actions from the present and past begin to catch up with her. It shows how a person’s ego can grow too big to ultimately become manipulation, pretentiousness and in some cases, abuse. Blanchett is magnificent in this role as she is able to fully express how complex Lydia Tár is as a person and allows the watchers to go on a journey with her as we start to discover who she really is. This is definitely a must watch if you enjoy a tense drama that unravels before you.

1. Women Talking, directed by Sarah Polley

This is the only nominated film that has been directed by a woman, Sarah Polley who is a Canadian actress/director. It stars some famous faces such as Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Frances McDormand, and Ben Whishaw. It tells the story of a group of women in a remote religious colony who struggle with their faith after many sexual assaults are committed against them by the men in their community. It is supposed to be empathetic, thought-provoking, and dynamic. It follows a sad story but showcases the beauty of women coming together for their safety and happiness. This was released in the UK on February 10th and still may be available to see in cinemas if you are interested in this type of movie! It may not win best picture, but it is always worth supporting female directors as they are extremely undermined and underappreciated, especially at the Oscars.

These are just 5 of the Best Picture nominations, with the others being: All Quiet on the Western Front, Elvis, Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water, Triangle of Sadness. Overall, regardless of which one wins, all the films nominated this year are worth watching and deserve the love that they are getting. I was able to watch over 100 movies in the last year, with over 30 of them at the cinema and I do think it is the best way to watch movies, so keep updated with your local cinema and support creative and fun films!

Orla Tanner

Nottingham '23

Hi, I'm Orla! I'm a third year student studying English and American Studies. I am super interested in social justice, feminism and absolutely love films, especially ones made by female directors.