A Chart To The Stars: Constellation Spotting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

If you’re ever feeling stressed and caught up with the hurry of things, one of the best things you can do, in my opinion, is to look up into the stars in the night sky. Just looking up can put everything into perspective, making us feel grounded and full of wonder again, and suddenly worries seem less all-consuming. Throughout history, the stars have been used in navigation, art, storytelling, religion, and woven into the fabric of cultures and their beliefs, featuring in culture from star signs to mythology. Most of the names and explanations behind constellations come from Ancient Greek, Roman and Middle Eastern cultures and often they have different significance to different areas of the world.

I’ve always had a curiosity about the stars and the stories behind the constellations in the sky, so I resolved to learn more about them this year. However, with 88 constellations recognised in contemporary astrology by the International Astronomical Union, learning about constellations can quickly get overwhelming with the rich cultural and historical stories and variation behind it!

Key things that can help:

• Try and find views of the stars in places away from city lights and light pollution.
  • Start with the major constellations.
  • Use a star chart or an app to help you start identifying – . These  these often have useful built-in compassbuilt in compass tools.
  • Use reference points, such as the moon or a constellation you knowknown well, to help you as starting pointspoints you.
  • Have patience! Start with a few and get to know them well, before you move on to others. This will help you enjoy it, and accumulate knowledge manageably as you go
  • Bear in mind that seasons and times of the year, as well as location in the hemispheres, affect which stars might be in the sky above you and their visibility. 
  • Reading books or learning about cultural and mythical stories linked to certain constellations can be an interesting way of understanding investigating them. 

To help you in your journey to navigating the skies, here are some of the key constellations you can start with:

Here are some of the key constellations to start with:

Orion (The Hunter) – 

This is probably the best constellation to start with. 3 bright stars in a row form Orion’s best. Around it other stars represent his legs and shield. In Greek mythology, Orion was a huntsman placed in the stars by Zeus after his death. In Ancient Egypt, it was believed that the pyramids aligned with the Orion’s Belt, which was associated by the god Osiris in Egyptian mythology. 

Ursa Major (The Big Dipper)

This constellation forms a ladle-shaped group of stars in the sky. One end of the constellations points directly to Polaris (the North star). In Latin its name means ‘greater bear’, alongside its counterpart Ursa Minor, meaning ‘lesser bear’. 

Ursa Minor (The Little Dipper)

Shaped like a saucepan with a curved handle, this constellation contains the North Star, Polaris. Polaris in particular has been used in navigation through history to find the direction North.  

Cassiopeia

This constellation represents a W or an M. In Greek Mythology, Cassiopeia was a beautiful queen. As a punishment for her arrogance and vanity, she and her family were placed into the sky, thought to resemble a throne. Frequently in ancient Greece it was believed that the Gods placed individuals and objects into the sky as stars as firm lessons for behaviour, or as an honour. 

Scorpius

Thought to resemble a scorpion, with a curving tale and pincers. The brightest star within it, Antares, marks it’s heart. 

Canis Major 

A constellation in the southern star, which contains in particular its brightest star Sirius. Sirius was often associated with the God Anubis in Egyptian mythology, depicted with a dog or jackal head. It’s known as the ‘greater dog’, one of Orion’s two hunting dogs that follow him through the sky. 

Pegasus

This constellation is recognisable by its square shaped section, known as the Great Square, which forms the body of the horse. From one end of the square you can track stars in a train which form its neck and head. The Winged Horse is a creature from Greek Mythology. 

The Pleiades

This star cluster is one of the brightest clusters in the sky. In Greek Mythology the Pleiades were 7 daughters of the titans Atlas and Pleione, the sea nymph, therefore the constellation is also called the Seven Sisters. (There is a contemporary fiction series by Lucinda Riley based around this constellation which may appeal to those interested in this!) In contrast, in ancient Mesopotamia, they were associated with Ishtar, its goddess of war and sexuality. 

Hopefully this is a useful starting point for any budding constellation spotters out there. Happy stargazing!

Serena Mehdwan

Nottingham '25

Hi, I'm Serena, I'm a second year history student at the University of Nottingham. I love painting, writing about the things I love, and reading fantasy (and of course historical!) fiction novels :)