6 Reasons Why You Should Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Now that the Spring term has arrived (faster than we ever imagined) and you’re probably fed up with each and every meal you ‘cooked’ last term, it’s the perfect time to start planning your meals. Here’s a few reasons why we at Her Campus think that you should…

1) To save money

For us students, budgeting and saving money where possible is a big deal. Creating a meal plan for the week ahead will help you put together a sensible list of foods to pick up at your local supermarket, or even order online – it’s kinda like retail therapy, but with food… Doing this will stop you adding 100 other items into your basket that you simply don’t need. You’ll be surprised at how much you can save – extra money to treat yo’ self!

Tip: Cooking in pairs or mini groups is wise and fun; when you do a food shop, you and your friends can buy in bulk, saving even more money.

2) To try out new recipes

Do you ever find yourself eating the same meals over and over again? I know I used to. Meal planning allows you to try out new recipes, explore cook books and mix in some variety – you’ll never get bored of your own cooking again! Madeleine Shaw’s ‘Get the Glow’ is a huge favourite of mine, it’s filled with tonnes of nutritious, delicious recipes. You can order it online for just £10! Her second book, ‘Ready, Steady, Glow’ is being released on April 7th – I’ve pre-ordered it already #eagerbeaver 

3) To stop wasting food

Meal planning is smart. There’s nothing more frustrating than having to throw away gone off food; you’re just wasting money. Planning your meals for the week ahead will prevent this from happening time and time again. Using up all the bits and bobs you would’ve normally forgotten about is surprisingly satisfying.

4) To help to keep you on track

If you’re trying to adhere to a New Year’s resolution of being healthier, meal planning can help. It allows you to choose your meals for the week more carefully, rather than throwing together any old thing. It’s a simple way of organising your nutrition.

P.S. If you haven’t already started your resolutions, now is the time – better late than never!

5) To make your day that little bit easier  

Being a student isn’t always easy; attempting to balance university, a social life, a job and what-not can be stressful to say the least. This is why meal planning is ideal – it’s efficient. The last thing you want to find when you arrive home from a hectic day is that you have ZERO food in the fridge, meaning you have to eat beans on toast for the third time that week – we’ve all bean there (Excuse the pun, haha).

6) It’s fun

We all LOVE food, so why not make planning and prepping your meals as enjoyable as eating them? Pair up with your housemate, throw on some Biebs (his new album is the one), dig out those dusty student cook books that your parents sent you off to uni with, and you’re ready to go.  

Meal planning is a win-win, give it a whirl, you’re bound to agree! 

Edited by India-Jayne Trainor 

Sources:

www.pinterest.com