5 Down’s Syndrome Myths Debunked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Down’s syndrome, also known as Down Syndrome or Trisomy 21, is a genetic condition that typically causes some level of learning disability and certain physical characteristics. It is usually caused by an extra chromosome in a baby’s cells. In most cases, it is not an inherited condition.​March 21 is World Down’s Syndrome Day. And it was not chosen by accident – the twenty-first day of the third month symbolises the trisomy of the 21st chromosome pair. In honour of the people who were born with the condition or those who have a relative or friend who have it, here are some of the most common misconceptions about Down’s Syndrome.

1. Only mothers over 35 years old give birth to children with Down’s Syndrome. No, it is found that this genetic anomaly occurs at conception and is not associated with specific actions by the mother during pregnancy or her age. Some time ago, it was believed that the birth frequency of a baby with the syndrome increased as the mother’s age increased. Today, statistics show that 80% of babies with Down’s Syndrome were born to women under 35 years old.
  2. Down’s Syndrome is hereditary. No, the truth is that only 3% of people are inherited. According to the National Down Syndrome Society, one in 691 newborn babies in America is born with Down’s Syndrome every year. Statistics are the same in all countries, races and social classes.
  3. People with Down’s Syndrome will lead shorter lives. While this may have been typical in the past, this was not because of the condition itself but because of its accompanying illnesses. Nowadays, the advance in medicine has mean that many people with Down’s Syndrome live until the age of 60. The oldest reported person with Down’s Syndrome in the UK is 72 years old. Helping a person with Down’s Syndrome to adapt to their social environment, making an effort for their development and maintaining a healthy lifestyle will lead to a long and happy life.
  4. People with Down’s Syndrome cannot learn, write, read… An absolute myth! Of course, they can. And they can do a lot more than that – they can sing, dance, cook, learn. While there was a perception in the past that people with Down’s Syndrome did not receive a formal education, children with Down’s Syndrome do attend school and are often visual learners. This means that reading can be a real strength for them. 

If you want to show your support to people with Down’s Syndrome and help raise awareness of the condition, you can become a part of the global event by wearing colour, bright and mismatched socks. You can even buy the official #LotsofSocks socks for 2019! 

All information taken from 1 2 3

Images 1 2 

Martina is currently in her third year at the University of Nottingham, doing International Media and Communications Studies. An aspiring journalist and passionate about writing, Martina likes contemplating about life, talking about travel, gym, sports, healthy lifestyle. Her aim is to challenge your mindset, make you think about meaningful issues and broaden your horizons as far as possible. Hopefully, she achieved it with the article you just read... or if not, hopefully at least you enjoyed it!