5 Desert Island Make Up Products Under £5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Nothing quite like getting into the spirit of student-budgeting than starting off the new Uni year with some savvy and essential makeup buys that put £5 notes into perspective. The following makeup products are not only incredibly cheap, but are also of such incredible quality that they have convinced many a makeup junkie to permanently steer clear of their high-end equivalents. It took me years to track down these budget beauty wonders and I can confirm I’d have a full-on life crisis if any were to be discontinued. So without further ado, here’s a list of my desert-island-must-have-can’t-live-without makeup products all UNDER £5(!!!!!):

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer (£4.19)

This concealer well and truly deserves the number one spot on my list. I have to admit, I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to makeup brands and I was doubtful when I stumbled across a beauty vlogger raving about this concealer… But I’d just run out of my Beneift Boiing/overdraft and well… desperate times… I decided to give Collection a try as for just £4.19 it wasn’t exactly a splurge I’d massively regret. I was not disappointed. The concealer comes in four shades and a small amount of product will give full coverage for spots and dark circles that lasts all day without caking or creasing, what more could you want?? My gruelling mission for the perfect concealer is over.

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder (£3.99)

Me and this product go way back. I used to waste what was probably years off my life reapplying makeup throughout the day til I discovered the beauty of powder. I haven’t been completely faithful in my love affair, dabbling with the likes of Clinique and Maybelline here and there, but I have once and for all discovered the error in my ways and have now made a full-fledged commitment. This powder keeps your makeup fresh and your skin matte and makes me seriously question how highend companies get away with charging so much for their products when Rimmel has achieved all a powder should achieve. 

Sleek Blush (£4.49)

Sleek Makeup is a relatively new brand that has quickly established itself in the beauty world with its wide range of quality makeup products at affordable prices. Their gorgeous blushes are lasting and highly pigmented, seriously giving MAC and NARS a run for their money. You pay just £4.49 for a massive 8g of product! And without sounding too superficial their packaging would trick anyone into thinking they’re a luxury brand…

Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Liner (£3.99)

If you’re looking for a bold, blackest black eyeliner that glides on without tugging on your eyelid, doesn’t smudge and wears all day, stop looking.

Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24hr Cream Gel Eyeshadow (£4.99)

Someone PLEASE explain the marketing strategy behind “24hour” makeup… if you are still wearing eyeshadow after 24 hours of applying it I advise you to seek help.  Moving on, these little round pots of joy are incredible. I’ve never been one for cream makeup but after hearing rave reviews I had to try these supposedly smudge-proof, crease-proof wonders that notoriously outlast their MAC rivals. I now own 8.  Needless to say these are an absolute steal considering their durability and pigmentation. I especially love the more neutral shades that work great as eyeshadow primers for days/nights that you really want your eyemakeup to pop AND last.

I'm a second year English Language and Literature student at the University of Nottingham who is worryingly obsessed with organising and could spend an entire day in Boots comparing makeup and beauty products. Aside from this... I love a good night out, green tea, dogs, artsy fartsy films, cooking and being overly competitive in board games.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!