This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In anticipation of Sofia Coppola’s film, Priscilla, I picked up Priscilla Beaulieu Presley’s memoir, Elvis and Me, excited to delve into the real story of her turbulent life. This personal account offers readers an intimate glimpse into the world of the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll, Elvis Presley, as well as Priscilla’s own experiences, struggles, and lasting love. 

Elvis and Me takes us on a journey through the dazzling world of glitz and glamour, as well as the heart-wrenching, isolating moments that accompany it. Priscilla, famously known as the only wife of Elvis, bares her soul in this memoir, shedding light on the tumultuous ride of her relationship with the iconic singer.

One of the most compelling aspects of this book is its authenticity; Priscilla’s account feels genuine and unfiltered, and I could easily visualise the events happening in her story. She doesn’t shy away from the gritty details, whether it be about her controversial romance with Elvis or the pressures of living in the spotlight and coping with the strains it put on her marriage. 

The book begins by chronicling Priscilla’s early years, including her move to Germany with her family, where she first met Elvis, a ‘larger-than-life figure’, whilst he was serving in the U.S. Army. The relationship felt uncomfortable to read about – given that Priscilla was only 14 and Elvis 24 when they connected – but eager to learn about how Priscilla dealt with falling for such a prominent man, I kept reading on. One of the most revealing, and unsettling, aspects of their budding love was how Elvis referred to her as ‘Little One’, alongside other words related to baby talk. Such language used by a grown man towards a minor is both ironic and disturbing, and this certainly exposes Elvis in a new, less glamorous way. However, one of the most poignant elements of Priscilla’s story is her unwavering love for Elvis; despite the ups and downs, the memoir reveals an enduring connection that transcends time. Despite her struggle between ‘the man I loved and the myth he had become’, her reflections on Elvis as a husband, a father, and a man behind his iconic image add depth to his character. His love for their child, Lisa Marie Presley, is clear through how he spoils her, doting on her like any typical father. Priscilla humanises Elvis in a way that many struggle to do. 

Moreover, Elvis and Me evidences Priscilla’s strength and resilience as she navigated the complexities of a high-profile marriage whilst forming her own identity. Her transformation from a young girl, entrapped by Elvis’ traditionalist demands and his uncontrollable addiction to pills, to a woman of independence is an inspiring story of personal growth. The memoir is beautifully written and a moving tale of a woman who stood beside a legend.

Bethan Beddow

Nottingham '24

Hi, I'm Bethan and I study English with Creative Writing BA! I adore blog writing, specifically on matters that surround women and femininity, as well as other forms of creative writing such as creating poetry. As a typical English student, my room is brimming with hundreds of books – fantasy and romance are my top genres – and so in my free time I'm usually engrossed in one or two novels.