World Cup: Glory or Gore?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

There are many things occurring this summer, but one thing you can’t avoid is the World Cup fever. Whether it be the stories of heartbreak or the glory of teams, overcoming adversity or being sent home heavy-hearted, the World Cup is all around us. Beyond the screaming fans and teams that at one point represented 32 of the most accomplished soccer countries in the world, there are also long term effects the World Cup carries for the host country which, in this case, is Brazil.

Before the games began, construction on new stadiums and hotels were underway. However, protests began when the people of Brazil felt slighted (understatement) by the misappropriation of funds from their public transportation and by the rampant political corruption, while having to make up for an infrastructure that was not equipped to handle the arrival of the spectators. These are preemptive problems that the Brazilian people had to deal with before the World Cup began, but the issues will still persist after the World Cup is long gone from the host country. 

The most contested issues involve building $300 million stadiums in cities like Manaus, which has no soccer teams, and feeling the brunt of the nearly $20 billion tab the FIFA will leave once the World Cup is just a distant memory. Although many will not even think about Brazil once the World Cup is over, it is very important we keep an eye on the country because this misappropriation of funds affecting host countries seems to be a common trend.

Even though the next World Cup is four years away and will be hosted in Qatar, problems have already spurred up due to the dangerous working conditions laborers are subjected to in order to meet the construction demands in time. People have already died during the construction of stadiums, reminiscent of the pre-Cup situation in Brazil. The ridiculous standards FIFA has for their host countries jeopardize the individuals that are subjected to them. When watching the World Cup Final or the World Cup itself, we must remember both the lives that are lost when putting on the spectacle and the damage that is left when it is gone.

The World Cup is considered one of the most important sporting events that prides itself on bringing the whole world together. As we consider this unity and togetherness let us also think of the cost of all this glory. With death tolls rising in Qatar and riots spurring in Brazil we must think beyond the game and think of the people. Is all this glory really worth all the gore? 

Follow HCND on Twitter and Instagram (@hercampusnotredame), and like us on Facebook

Images 1, 2, 3

Political Science and Philosophy Major. Freshman at the University of Notre Dame.