jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Winter Without Football: A Beginner’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

We thought we were going to get lucky and that Mother Nature would casually forget that in the winter it’s supposed to snow and be extremely cold. On top of the freezing cold, we feel as if something is missing. What is that thing you ask? It’s football, of course.

Football is at the heart of this University. We rally around our boys on Saturdays during the fall. We spend hours dedicating our time to tailgates, game watches, outfit planning, and the games themselves. Now that we are in the spring semester. We feel as if our experience is lacking.

But, no need to fret! There are so many things that this university offers other than football. Notre Dame prides itself on being a well rounded university. Not only are we amazing at football, but we have a great community with lots of things to do. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention we’re also pretty smart. There are hundreds of clubs and organizations, and even other teams, that at any given time there is always at least ten different things going on. Here are some ideas of what you can do on the weekends since you are no longer waking up at 8 AM to prepare for a long day of football festivities.

1. Basketball, Hockey, Lacrosse, OH MY!

Not only is Notre Dame an international name in the football game, but we are also extremely talented at other sports. Both our men’s and women’s basketball teams kick butt on the court. The women’s team has been in the top five for what seems like ages, always giving UConn a run for their money. The men’s team is pretty stellar as well. I don’t know if you heard, but last week we beat Duke. It’s a pretty big deal.

If basketball isn’t your thing there’s still plenty other sporting events you can attend to show off your school spirit. The hockey games are awesome. Plus, Leprechaun Legion is always giving something free to the students who come to the game. If you’re lucky, you may even get asked to ride the zamboni. And with the start of Spring Semester, comes spring sports, which includes lacrosse, baseball, softball, and more! All of these sports, offer the perfect opportunity to take a break from studying and cheer on the Irish

2. Sub Movie Nights

Sometimes, you don’t want to party in a cramped dorm room and would rather just relax. Nothing takes you mind off studying like a good film. Grab your popcorn and your candy because it’s time for a movie!

Did you know that Notre Dame offers some awesome movies for only $3, right here on campus, every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in DBart 101. Well they do, and it requires no plane, train, or automobile to get there.

These movies are current hits ranging from serious thrillers to family friendly comedies. SUB posts the schedule for these movies all across campus and gives you multiple showings each day to see the movie you want. Since there is a showing at 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays you can even go out after. Here’s the schedule for the weekends before spring break:

February 5-7: The Theory of Everything

February 12-14: The Best of Me

February 19-21: Horrible Bosses 2

February 26-28: Interstellar

3. CROSS COUNTRY SKIING AND ICE SKATING!

Did you know that Notre Dame offers free cross country skiing to students! Yeah, neither did I! If you want to get a workout or even just try something new, hit up the Rockne Memorial on Friday afternoons, and Saturday during the day. The Rock allows you to cross country ski on the gold golf course if there is at least 6 inches of snow on the ground (which there currently is). I mean who doesn’t love to do fun things for free?! Equipment rentals for the whole day are only $5, so you can cross country ski to your heart’s delight!

So, now I’ve got you hooked. You’re a winter sport junkie. Have no fear, cross country skiing isn’t your only option! The Compton Family Ice Arena offers free skate on the weekends. So if you have ever had the dream to be a professional figure skater, like I have, here’s your chance to brush up on your triple lutz (look it up, it’s pretty cool). Skate rentals are only $3 and depending what time you go, the price to skate ranges from $5 to FREE! So hit up UND.com/sports/comptonarena to find the next free skate time!

These of course are only a few ideas, there is still so much I’ve yet to discover for myself. Notre Dame is my favorite place for many reasons, including that it offers so many great things to do other than just football, which comes in handy during the Spring Semester. So, go out and find something cool to do on campus next Saturday!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hannah Dunn

Notre Dame

Hannah Dunn is a sophomore Marketing and Film, Television and Theater major at ND. Born and raised in Westchester, NY, Hannah loves to lax it up with the Women's Club Lacrosse Team, but is never opposed to a Netflix and chill. If you need a good Ben and Jerry's ice cream recommendation be sure to ask her.